Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poppy is now 12 months old and she seems to have developed a deafness! Today took her out for her evening walk and when we got towards the end of her off lead time she suddenly became deaf! Shouted "here" to which she had a 5 minute mad-time!!! This is starting to become a problem....we give her a command and she basically does what she wants. Is this normal? I feel like i have got a teenager in the house!!

Michelle

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think she is definately trying to challenge your authority. Labs have the intelligence to constantly find a way to do as they please unless you maintain the say so. Duke, at 5 1/2 years old, still gives me an attitude when I give him a command that seems to say "OK I'll do that in a minute or two but can we discuss other opitons first?". ;D

You need to practice the old NILIF every day to maintain your authority. A Lab will use any leeway you allow to to it their way.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Nothing In Life Is Free. Your dog must respond to a request before he or she receives anything, especially food or treats. My boys MUST sit before they get supper, for example. Or Sit for a treat. They learn that you are the source of all good things and if they want those good things then they better listen and do what you say.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
All perfectly normal for a young adult. There's a debate about why (challenging authority? brains rewiring?), but why isn't so important, IMO. The main point is that it's a typical hump to get over, and all you need to do is tighten up on your obedience. You may notice, when you really analyze the situation, that you have unconsciously gotten slack about things you think she "ought" to know.

Dukesdad explained the process very well. Use what SHE wants to get him to do what YOU want.

As for the recall, you may need to back up several steps. Don't be afraid to put her back on the long line or even the leash in the house if you need to. Change the cue if "here!" has gotten too weak. I speak from experience when I say that it's very difficult to retrain a recall if you've allowed them to believe that it's optional. ::)

G

·
Yes!! .. this is completly normal !! ;D

So get used to it !! 8)

But, if you wont get used to it, try this ... just ask her three time's to come, if she dont, just leave! ;D

Yes .. just leave, and hide some where she cant see you, and take a look what's she's going to do ;)

Ohw, and running after her is not going to work, probaly you already figure that part all ready out ;D

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I posted something similar about Emma- 21 months last week. Then we entered her into Labby BootCamp here at home. She has to sit before she goes out the door, sit/stay before she is fed, wait at the bottom of the steps before I allow her up, sit for a treat, stay for a pat on the head, do something for everything. The crazy thing is...not only is it working...but she seems happier for it. It's like they NEED us to crack down on them and keep them in line. Very much like children.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
I posted something similar about Emma- 21 months last week. Then we entered her into Labby BootCamp here at home. She has to sit before she goes out the door, sit/stay before she is fed, wait at the bottom of the steps before I allow her up, sit for a treat, stay for a pat on the head, do something for everything. The crazy thing is...not only is it working...but she seems happier for it. It's like they NEED us to crack down on them and keep them in line. Very much like children.
couldn't agree more, Sammi knows about "puppy bootcamp" very well. Think this started when she was about 10months old and seemed to forget every bit of training and commands she had ever learned. We definitely went to "earn everything" type of training, and it did'nt take long to notice a huge and great change. She is now 15 months old and is far from perfect, but everyday gets closer to being a well behaved "family member'-----

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Naughty girl, Poppy! my neighbours have a nearly 12 month old Golden Retriever who is going through the same phase at the moment. It is funny because when they take her out she is a pain in the backside but when I take her out she is as good as gold. When I told them she had the potential to make a good competitive obedience dog (she has wonderful focus and is very responsive to the right kind of training) they laughed in my face! so I guess it is all down to perspective...

Today took her out for her evening walk and when we got towards the end of her off lead time she suddenly became deaf!
Could she be predicting it is the end of her walk and is acting up as a result?

G

·
I couldn't trust Duke off lead until he was at least 2 and even now I only do it in short bursts and when I do it it because he behaved well through out the entire walk. I also only let him off lead in the same spot at the end of our walk.
:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts