Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shelly's "weather" thread got me thinking. I've often wondered why people would live somewhere that has such horrendous/long winters. Below zero temps, TONS of snow. My husband was talking to his brother the other night, who lives in VT. They have 6 feet of snow on the ground at his house. He chose to move there and build a house...he used to live in PA.

So I'm wondering, why do you live where you do? Is it where you were born and raised? Is it because of a job? Spouse job? Why?

I've lived in Hunterdon County, NJ, my entire life and I'll never live anywhere else. I love it!! We have 4 perfect seasons, not too hot, not too cold, not a whole lot of snow, and spring and fall are absolutely perfect.

:)

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I was born in this area plus I like the 4 seasons. We moved around a lot when I was a kid but never out of the state. DH has never moved from the town he was raised in.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's wrong with snow?
I love snow! As long as it's under 1 foot and I don't have to drive in it. :)

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I was born in Boston and have lived in NYC and now am in CT. While I hate the cold and the snow I've always said I'll take New England weather over hurricanes, mudslides, tornados, forest fires, earthquakes, and -52 degrees in January. Sure we get snow, but its rare we get dumped on.

That being said...I'd love to live someplace where its about 75 degrees and sunny all year round. With a pool. And a pool boy...:cool:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That being said...I'd love to live someplace where its about 75 degrees and sunny all year round.
That's where my sister lives now, San Diego. :)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I wouldn't like warm weather all year round. I like having 4 nice seasons. Here the weather is mild, housing is inexpensive, and industry is good, especially for what I do (engineering).

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
I like the 4 seasons as well. And I like to do so much (sport wise) that this is essential.

Winter we Ski downhill/xc, curl, skate and may try snowshoeing this year.
Summer we golf, baseball
Spring Fall - lots of fishing, still golfing

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Well, the problem you're not factoring in is how used to weather you get.

When i lived in SF, it was 10 degrees in the winter (celsius) and i was freezng.. here, i'd be in a t-shirt.. so it's not really apples to apples..

I've left this city 6 times.. SIX TIMES and came back every time.. there must be some soul-sucking reason i live here that i'm not aware of.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I live in PA and also love the four seasons. I would never live where it was warm all the time or really hot in the summer. I can't stand to be hot. I was born and raised on the family farm around Pittsburgh. My parents still live there. That was home. I moved two hours northeast when I got together with my husband. In the mountains. I absolutely love it here. This is home now. I don't plan on living anywhere else. I feel lucky to be so grounded that I have two places that are home to me. I kind of feel sorry for people who have had to move around alot or buy a new house every few years. To me that would not feel like home. JMO.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Because on Jan 7th (today) I woke up at 6am to 68 degrees! It was beautiful out! I will say it again ------- Central coast of California----Pismo Beach, CA~ gotta love it! I don't like to be cold.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mocha, did you ever move to that house you showed us? You were concerned about keeping Mocha confined?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
We moved from Indiana to North Carolina BECAUSE of the winters in Indiana. We just picked up and moved to the only southern state where we had friends, didn't even know too much about the area!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Mocha, did you ever move to that house you showed us? You were concerned about keeping Mocha confined?
No. Somebody came in with a cash offer. I'm still looking. Thanks for asking. We are still on the 80 acres though. I must say, I have lost my zeal for looking to buy even though prices have come way down. My realtor doesn't quite understand why I'm being so picky. We will find a great house, but the property isn't right for Maggie and she just rolls her eyes and says "oh yeah, I forgot about the dog, you want room for the dog!"

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I was born in Northern California and have moved about 100 miles from where I was born. I'm 90 minutes from the ocean and 60 minutes from Lake Tahoe. It snows three inches about every four years and we all go out in the street and stare at it for hours.

I love the fact that the weather doesn't try to kill you here. I just can't see just struggling to go about your daily life.

We bought a house in Arizona that we're going to move to sometime next year where it's sunny 300+ days a year and we don't have to deal with the state of California.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I love Michigan. The four seasons and family are really what brought me back. I was dragged to FL in 9th grade and lived there for 1o years. I can't sand the heat and humidity. I need four seasons. I love the rebirth in the Spring, Summer is wonderful and not horribly hot, Fall is fabulous and I don't mind Winter at all, I love the know actually. Michigan will always be home to me.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Weather is definitely relative. People talk about how hot it is in the South but I think it gets just as hot in the summer in the North and Midwest, too. We only have a couple months where temps are in the upper 80s/90s and our averages are 89 for the high in our hottest months. Everybody has air conditioning so it is just not a big deal, really. The biggest bonus is the mild winters...we are having a cold snap and that means highs in the 30s, lows in the teens. It will be back in the 50s by end of next week.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I like the warm weather but I like a change. The problem with an 89* average is that I like to be outside. When I lived in FL it was so hot out you didn't want to be outside. That is my problem with living in the south. Also the you couldn't swim in the lakes in FL because of gators and snakes. No thank you!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts