Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just bugs me!! They'll say "My 30 month old", instead of "my 2-1/2 year old"??
Hell, I'm 492 months old! LOL

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Better than citing I.Q. numbers, I suppose.....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they do it because they don't want to believe their little one is growing up.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I used to hate it too but for the first two to three years everything is referred to in months for developmental stages - you get drawn in - even the clothing is doen in months - Addie is in 18 - 24 month old stuff now not 1 1/2 to 2 year stuff. anything you read or even when you go to the Dr it is the 18 month vac's etc......I never got it before she came along! I think part of it is developmentally they can change so much from one month to the next that the months are more appropriate to indicate where the child "should" be after about three years you look more at the years as the development slows down quite a bit....
Addies is now 1 year and 3 months (15months old) and then yesterday at emerg they still asked about her delivery and if she was term or not - I figured that would not matter so much anymore after all the kid is 25 -27 lbs! but it does.....

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey!! Great point, I never thought of that!! :)

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Yes, it has to do with developmental milestones since babies change and grow so much during the early years...it's like measuring pregnancy in weeks versus months...baby has milestones every week.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
So . . . should I cancel the party for my son's 200th month next month? After figuring it out, it is kind of cool that my kids will be 200 months and 150 months respectively next month. :)

In hockey, divisions are based on birth year; so when someone asks how old my kids are I have to stop myself from answering, "I have a '93 and a '97."

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Yup, I never understood it either until I was a mom myself. It is definitely helpful when talking about developmental milestones. But it's stupid to use in commonplace chit chat. When someone asks me how old Tyler is, I tell them he is 8 months but if they ask how old Alanna is I will say 2, not 27 months ;)
And pregnancy does make a lot more sense in weeks because 40 weeks does not = 9 months ;)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
So . . . should I cancel the party for my son's 200th month next month? After figuring it out, it is kind of cool that my kids will be 200 months and 150 months respectively next month. :)

In hockey, divisions are based on birth year; so when someone asks how old my kids are I have to stop myself from answering, "I have a '93 and a '97."
HA! I'm not the only one! We are always talking birth years.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I think I stopped by the age of 2 and it really depended on who I was talking to.

At those early ages, there is a big difference in development from one month to another.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
He's not A baby, he's THE baby. I can totally see that.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy hell Pam, my MIL called the boys "the babies" when they were FIVE YEARS OLD!!!! I wanted to slap her.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm mathematically challenge...I could never figure out the month thing. LOL

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
He's not A baby, he's THE baby. I can totally see that.
I was 45 when my mother passed away, and she always intoduced me as "the baby."

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm the baby of the family, too, but that's different. Like when my MIL referred to the boys as "the babies", she just didn't want to face the fact that they were growing up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts