Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually my computer updates automatically. This evening I had 3 updates & one was to update to Internet Explorer 8. Now all of you know I am not a computer person....so after I install it...the da** computer freezes up. I get some message that there is an "add-on" & HP is not compatable with this add-on. WTF!!
So I can my son...the compuer geek & he sya to reboot. Sometimes thta happens when you install a new program.
Also...I swear I did not have Yahoo search on Internet Explorer 7, or else I never noticed. I thought I had Windows as a search engine.
I know I am truly pitiful with my lack of knowlwdge...but do you folks ever have these problems when you install new programs?

Now I know why I always put off updating anything. :(
Hopefully the rebooting will help & it will be okay now.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I can so relate, Georgie! One of my updates was for the service pak 3, and I ended up sending my computer to one of my geek friends. He had to reload everything.
Our family loves to watch vids on Youtube, and there has been a message to update to Google Chrome, Mozilla, or I.E. 8. I'm hesitant about it.
I don't why these updates should reek havoc on the computers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
DO NOT update IE7 to IE8! Every person I know (including Bill) who did, has had major computer problems.

Try doing a reset and go back to before you did the updates. That often will resolve the problem.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Do a system restore. (I love that thing)

Change your settings in your security options that doesn't allow automatic updates. You have to approve everything. Then when they try that ****, you can uncheck the IE8 and update everything else.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Do a system restore. (I love that thing)

Change your settings in your security options that doesn't allow automatic updates. You have to approve everything. Then when they try that ****, you can uncheck the IE8 and update everything else.
That's what I meant by re-set. **** CRS! :rolleyes: I love it, too. It's saved my butt many times.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I do not let my machine update windows stuff automatically. It will kill you.
I do let the updates for the virus stuff run, but that's it.

Sorry your machine crapped out on you. Glad your son was able to set you right!

·
Registered
356 Posts
You can uninstall IE8 and it will revert back to IE7.... Go to Control Panel>Programs and Features

I'm using Windows 7 beta 64bit with IE8 and having no problems. I also have Firefox 3.5 which is my primary browser...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts