Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning after breakfast, Bella went out into the back yard and apparently caught a rat. I didn't see her do it, but when I looked out the window, she was standing over the body of a rodent of some sort. I couldn't tell if it was a rat or a small squirrel until I went out there for a closer look, but fortunately it was a rat (not that this is a good thing, but it's better than her catching a baby squirrel). Upon somewhat closer examination I determined that it was a not-quite-dead rat! :(

Maybe men are supposed to be able to handle stuff like this, but I'm decidedly squeamish about such things. However, I succeeded in fulfilling my spousal duty of slaying monsters and dealing with particularly unpleasant things. (I will spare you the details.)

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Sorry you had to do that. Yuk. I had to do the same chore the other day when my cat Ivan so kindly brought the dogs a little chippy that was not quite dead and layed it at their feet. Thanks Ivan, just what I needed. I had to get it off of them so one of them wouldn't eat it and hurk it up later in the house. Yuk again.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Be glad she didn't kill it. It has been my experience (limited) that labs have prey instinct like other dogs, but they have a "soft" bite and don't kill by biting. To make matters worse, they don't have the instinct to "shake" their catch which often gets them a bite in the nose by a rodent like a squirrel or rat. Mine go crazy after squirrels or chipmonks, but I wish they wouldn't because I'm afraid they will get bitten.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Barney found a dead one in our back yard. At first I thought it was a rock and he dropped it on command. I got the pooper scooper and put the dead rodent in the trash. :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
My pup found and was playing with a gopher. The teeth on those things scare me so I confiscated said play toy and made my dad take care of it. (We contemplated throwing it into the neighbors yard because I get squeamish about taking care of things like that - and since we moved around the corner from my parents that was the easiest method)

Congrats on mustering up the courage to take care of it - I know I couldn't!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts