Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month later and we have sucessfully transitioned to EVO fish formula. Koko has not had one problem with it. Stools are smaller and firm. She loves it. What I am wondering is how much are you feeding? When I took Koko to the vet last week she had gained 5lbs. in a month. She does not show it, in fact I think its muscle from her increased activity, anyhow I told the vet what and how much I am feeding her. I told him how I did kcal caculations and he said I should still be feeding her less. I was puzzled. He said those only apply to very active dogs. I am barely feeding Koko 3 cups a day, split up to two feedings. Wondering how much others are feeding.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am feeding EVO fish formula and only feeding 2 to 2 1/2 cups per day. He is very active! Daily runs 3-6 miles and agility class once a week.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I feed Orijen/Acana (which ever I can get), and Daisy gets 2 cups a day, sometimes 2 and 1/4, while its not EVO, it is similar. She stays at a steady 66# with or without activity (she's a mellow girl, so a good walk does her in for the day, or a game of fetch).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Feeding Wellness Core Ocean formula (grain free) and feeding 3/4 to 1 cup twice a day (I add raw veggies). Boys are about 65 and 74 pounds each and get 45 minutes of walk or swim plus playtime everyday.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reduced Koko down to barely 2.5 cups and added in some steamed grean beans. Will keep a close eye on her weight gain. She has bad arthritis so I don't want her gaining any extra lbs.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I was feeding EVO but all of my dogs got too heavy on it, and I couldn't cut them down any less... Magnum was getting less than 1 cup of it a day.

I switched to Wellness Core. They can have 2 cups of this a day and haven't gained weight on it like they did on the EVO.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been feeding Charlie Canidae's grain free salmon and am transitioning him to Evo fish formula. We're at 3/4 Evo now. Both have similar calorie counts, so he gets 2 cups a day (split into two meals). He's 71.5 pounds and he gets a fair bit of exercise. He has bad ankles (hocks) so we try to keep him light. He often gets cooked or canned green beans, or cooked broccoli to give him some bulk without a lot of calories.
What's your dog's age and weight?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been feeding Charlie Canidae's grain free salmon and am transitioning him to Evo fish formula. We're at 3/4 Evo now. Both have similar calorie counts, so he gets 2 cups a day (split into two meals). He's 71.5 pounds and he gets a fair bit of exercise. He has bad ankles (hocks) so we try to keep him light. He often gets cooked or canned green beans, or cooked broccoli to give him some bulk without a lot of calories.
What's your dog's age and weight?
A little off topic here but be careful feeding brocolli - I read and my vet confirmed that there is some concern that brocolli may have some chemical that is toxic to dogs. But I have also seen it as an ingredient in reputable foods. I also read that too many avocados may be toxic - so - just like in our world, everything is bad for you!!!
If your dog likes green beens try raw chunks of butternut squash or raw yam chunks and baby carrots. All are low calorie ways of adding nutritious volume when feeding smaller amounts of kibble. My dogs eat the carrots, yams or squash first!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I add a handful of thawed green beans to Daisy's am and pm meal, along with a tablespoon of pumpkin, each feeding. She gets a few treats here and there during the day too (though sometimes none at all, just depends).

·
Registered
852 Posts
A little off topic here but be careful feeding brocolli - I read and my vet confirmed that there is some concern that brocolli may have some chemical that is toxic to dogs. But I have also seen it as an ingredient in reputable foods. I also read that too many avocados may be toxic - so - just like in our world, everything is bad for you!!!
If your dog likes green beens try raw chunks of butternut squash or raw yam chunks and baby carrots. All are low calorie ways of adding nutritious volume when feeding smaller amounts of kibble. My dogs eat the carrots, yams or squash first!
I occassionally feed broccolli (the stems sliced thin) as treats. never heard it was toxic . Do you have any links on this? appreciate it if you do.

I think it is the pit and the skin of the avacado that is toxic to dogs, not the fruit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Koko is 7 and weighs 68lbs. I'll add sweet potatos sometimes too. We keep her pretty active, a mile or two walks a day and multiple games of fetch, and atleast one field fetch a day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I occassionally feed broccolli (the stems sliced thin) as treats. never heard it was toxic . Do you have any links on this? appreciate it if you do.

I think it is the pit and the skin of the avacado that is toxic to dogs, not the fruit.
I will look for it again. When I mentioned it to my vet he had also read it but was surprised and skeptical.
As for the avocado - we have 5 avocado trees in the backyard and Boomer devours them. He spits out most of the skin and chews but doesnt eat the pit and so far the worst side effect is green poop (toxic to me!!).

·
Registered
20 Posts

I think you're right about the avocado (but see the article I found - it's no wonder we get confused.)

I did a new google search and could not find the original article I remember reading about broccoli toxicity. I did find several articles referencing a chemical in it "isothiocyanate" that is a "potent gastrointestinal irritant". It seems the theory started when a bunch of cattle were fed broccoli and it caused them problems. In feeding cattle, 10% of the diet being broccoli caused gastrointestinal upset and feeding 25% was fatal. But, as the articles I read today stated, no one knows if this is because cattle super digest everything (having multiple stomachs). I found reference to broccoli being high in bioflavinoids and therefore very good for dogs (http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html). It referenced the cattle broccoli issue but stated that a dogs diet wouldn't be 10% broccoli.
Here is an article regarding avocados - this one says all parts of the fruit and tree are toxic. (I dont think it's accurate but... ). http://www.animalpetsandfriends.com/Article/25-Human-Foods-Toxic-To-Dogs/300.
I will look for the original article regarding broccoli - however, it seems that in moderation it would be good because of the other benefits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
heres a question for those feeding evo. samson has allergies to rabbit venison milk rice flax oat and carrots. all of the dry varieties have some of these ingredients. yet the canned is 95% meat of whatever variety selected. how much canned would be recommended for a 90lb boy and what supplements might need to be added i see some are feeding green beans and what are the benefits. samson eats anything put in front of him literally so i have to be careful what he gets and the others get. he currently is eating the purina vet diets OM. but has not helped his problem with the inner digital cysts that are supposedly allergy related.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.