Light Rye Bread (sammich if you choose)
Cabbage Roll casserole served with sour creme
boiled red potatoes, then roasted with garlic
carrots
dill pickles

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I like it but as Irish as I am ,we skip Corned Beef and cabbage on St Paddy's day. My mom and dad, both Irish and raised in New Haven ate it far too often. Back in their day it was an inexpensive cut of meat and they really got tired of it.

I do love me some Sheppards pie though! I'll be in Manhattan after the parade and if I can squeeze myself in to one of my favorite pubs.......well we'll see what happens!

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I do love me some Sheppards pie though! I'll be in Manhattan after the parade and if I can squeeze myself in to one of my favorite pubs.......well we'll see what happens!
Sheppards Pie is British. I grew up on it. Its also known as cottage pie which is the original name for it. But typically if it has lamb in it then its Sheppards pie (as far as I remember). :)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Sheppards Pie is British. I grew up on it. Its also known as cottage pie which is the original name for it. But typically if it has lamb in it then its Sheppards pie (as far as I remember). :)
Yes it is British but since it is served at Molly Wee's pub I will probably order that. If I am not mistaken Corned beef and Cabbage is actually a New England dish and not necessarily an Irish from Ireland meal

From Wiki. Corned beef was originally used as a substitute for bacon by Irish American immigrants in the late 1800s.[7] A similar dish is the New England boiled dinner, consisting of corned beef, cabbage, and root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, and potatoes, which is popular in New England and parts of Atlantic Canada

Edited because I can

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I have to admit, up until last night I had never had corned beef!
I don't know what got into me but I decided I wanted to make it with cabbage last night.
I bought one of those seasoned corned beefs, I added 2 cups of water to it and cooked it in the crock pot. With about an hour left I added sliced cabbage. That's all I did and it was SOOOOOO good, a bit salty but still so good.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I have to admit, up until last night I had never had corned beef!
I don't know what got into me but I decided I wanted to make it with cabbage last night.
I bought one of those seasoned corned beefs, I added 2 cups of water to it and cooked it in the crock pot. With about an hour left I added sliced cabbage. That's all I did and it was SOOOOOO good, a bit salty but still so good.

A nice addition to what you made last night would be to add some new potato and parsnips. I typically make mine that way, it's more a New Engand style recipe. When you make it again give it a whirl.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Yes it is British but since it is served at Molly Wee's pub I will probably order that.
If I was there I'd buy you a pint mate! :biggrin1:

If I am not mistaken Corned beef and Cabbage is actually a New England dish and not necessarily an Irish from Ireland meal
Corn beef itself was exported from Cork in Ireland to other Countries including England. But, like you say, corned beef and cabbage is an Irish American dish.

The corn beef the Brits eat is different from over here I think. (just in the way it is made nowadays).

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I know it's not Irish, but now I'm craving a Reuben.
One of my faves! My local pubs make awesome open face reubens!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I have a corned beef but won't make it until Friday...it would cook too long in the crockpot during a work day. No cabbage, though, yuck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We are. It's in the crockpot right now, with green cabbage and carrots. The guy at Whole Foods told me this is the best way to do it, with some beef broth. We'll see how it turns out!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts