Just Labradors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoopie Pies are quintessential New England fare. While I am sure they are available outside this area of the US, I have yet find anyone living in other areas who were familiar with these delectable sweets. Have you heard of them? My darling mother provided me with this recipe a dozen or so years ago.

Humor me. Will you?

First, mix flour, sugar, shortening, egg yolks, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Don't over mix!

Next, drop by 1/8 cup measures onto a greased baking pan. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Pour yourself a glass of wine while these babies cool. Keep the wine handy, 'cause this is going to come in handy later. Ok?

Now, you may start on the frosting. Here you will use use powdered sugar, vanilla, (more!) shortening, and your left over egg whites. Beat until things are smooth and you see soft peaks.

More to come...

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Yummmmmmmm!!!!!

I loooooove whoopie pies!!! Now I want to make some.

...how much of these ingredients might I use Anne?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try. Just try to not lick your beaters. You may also take this opportunity to torture your kitchen helpers.

When everything is cool, smear as much frosting on the "cakes" as you can. Believe me...this is a circumstance where more is better. =)

Look good? Oh yeah. You betcha'!

Part III is coming...

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, friends, lift that glass of wine. Please, if you will, toast to my dear mother. You see, she was taken from us 6 years ago today. At a far too early of an age.

Without her, this recipe (as well as the woman making the recipe) would not be here today.

I miss you today and every day, Mom. And not just when I am making Whoopie Pies.

Thanks for reading! *smooch*

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
:) Thank you for sharing this with us! Raising a glass to your Mom.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stace-here is the recipe.

Whoopie Pies

Makes 12 small or 9 large (which is the only way, if you ask me.;))

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks (keep whites for later)
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon vinegar

Cream together the above.

Add 2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 tablespoons of good cocoa powder

Mix, bu do NOT over-mix. Let it sit 10-15 minutes while the oven is preheating to 375.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until toothpick comes out 'clean'

Frosting-the following is a single batch. In my opinion 1 batch is too small and doubling the batch is too much. I usually double the frosting recipe and toss the remainder (or find another use for it.)

2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 egg whites (I know, I know. But it hasn't killed me yet!)
Scant 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

Beat well (5 or so minutes) or until things are smooth and creamy and they start to form soft peaks.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I'm raising my invisible glass to toast your mom. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing that with us. I'd never heard of Whoopie Pies. They look delicious.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Those look absolutely delicious. If we get our recipe section over here, you need to remember to post this.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Thanks Anne :D

I'll be making some for dessert tomorrow and raising a glass to your mom.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Oh Anne! Yumm. Having lived in Mass. and VT. I know them all too well. I love them! And you're, right. No one where I live now, has any idea what they are! I need to make them again soon! Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I missed this post. I will raise a glass this evening to toast your mom.

Those look delicious Anne. I have never had one, but those look so good, I may have to try making them.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Nice post Anne...raising a glass to your mom. :)

LOVE the Whoopie pies down here...now I have my own recipe too...thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Condolences on the annversary of the loss of your Mom. What a unique way you've found to share her w/us.

Whoopee!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts