Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jaws pop really bad when talking and eating. And its kind of LOUD, as Cody can hear it when we are eating next to each other.

So would I go to the Doctor?? Or the Dentist?? for this?? I dont think I have TMJ (is that right)?? But sometimes it hurts when I eat.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I have TMJ and my jaw does that. SU has it too. I'm pretty sure my dentist had to diagnose mine but it was when I was younger. Su's dentist will work on him when his is bothering him so I would say talk to you dentist.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was thinking dentist but wasnt sure. I dont want surgery or anything but I guess if its bad ok. This just started about a year ago. Doesnt pop all the time. But I will for a long time where it just hurts to open my mouth. a week later I am fine. So who freakin knows.

I was eating diner Friday night in the hotel room and Cody was sitting across the room eating his dinner and he could hear it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MyGoldenBoy said:
Dentist. And it is probably TMJ. Has your dentist ever said anything to you in the past about the noise?
NO it just started like a year ago?? Maybe, I dont like it, it hurts. My dad told me it was TMJ a few weeks ago. But I have never heard of anyone ever having it.(in the family that is) Had a friend a few years back that had to get the surgery, she couldnt talk or eat for months. Mouth was wired shut, I dont want to go thru that. Plus I am sure its not cheap either.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I have the same issue and my dentist said that to fix it, he would have to break my jaw. I'd rather live with the pain and deal with my jaw occasionally locking shut.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has never locked shut before. But I also know I dont want anyone breaking my jaw!!! :'( I guess when i go get a cleaning I will have them check on it to see. I remember they had to break something to pull my two bottom wisdon teeth. maybe that has something to do with it???

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
My jaw does that too. I can open my mouth wide and make it pop. I have TMJ. I've had it for years and years. I haven't done anything about it either. I think a lot of the TMJ treatment is a waste of time and $$$. If you can live with it, that would be what I'd do (and am doing).

If I have to keep my mouth open for extended periods of time (like for root canal) my jaw aches like a sonofagun, but thankfully they give me drugs to relax it.

I've had the jaw come unhinged a few times as well, and THAT hurts. Luckily both times I just slammed my hand into it and popped it back in... but I have heard that it can get locked out of position and then a doctor has to get it back in.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Tater said:
MyGoldenBoy said:
Dentist. And it is probably TMJ. Has your dentist ever said anything to you in the past about the noise?
NO it just started like a year ago?? Maybe, I dont like it, it hurts. My dad told me it was TMJ a few weeks ago. But I have never heard of anyone ever having it.(in the family that is) Had a friend a few years back that had to get the surgery, she couldnt talk or eat for months. Mouth was wired shut, I dont want to go thru that. Plus I am sure its not cheap either.
My sister has it. Doing some sort of PT for it. Start with dentist.

·
Registered
703 Posts
A lot of insurance companies (medical or dental) do not cover therapies for TMJ. A lot of the surgical remedies around do not fix the pain and may cause worse pain and you're left searching for another fix. This is anecdotal; I don't have cites for you.

Don't worry about the noise so much, worry about the pain. If it gets worse, you'll need something done.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have TMJ. Muscle relaxants help. A night guard helps. PT helps. I have blue cross blue shield (used to have Mercy) and both covered it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TangerineFizz said:
You know what causes that right?..............................
lol

Not all causes are known. Some possible causes or contributing factors are injuries to the jaw area, various forms of Arthritis, dental procedures, genetics, hormones, low-level infections, auto-immune diseases, stretching of the jaw as occurs with inserting a breathing tube before surgery, and clenching or grinding of the teeth.

I googled TMJ to see what it is, SU does grind his jaw at night when he is stressed, He only gets this once in a while too.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have grinded my teeth since I got my first set. My mom has told me when I was a kid she could hear me doing it and Cody says he can hear it sometimes when i am sleeping on the couch. My dad and brother both grind their teeth too. I am sure I wont get it checked because I am sure its a waste of money when I can live with it. ONly pain I really get is the head aches and sometimes my jaw hurts. But I can take it.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I have this same thing, but the solution I was given was to get braces. :eek: I was told that my bite was so off that I've been putting my jaws together in an unnatural rest position, and that bite correction was key. DH has been at me to get it done, but I'm so not into being nearly 40 and having braces. :p
I need to look at options, but maybe, if you haven't already had them, you should see about your bite as a possible reason for the clicking. If you grind your teeth, perhaps the height of the molars has changed and that's leading to a bad bite position?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts