Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARRRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARG ARG ARG ARG ARG!!!

I'm so frustrated and feel like I'm at a standstill.

I "need" BUS 201 -> 301 -> a few other accounting courses while I decide if I should go to grad school or not. 201 is a prereq for 301 which is a prereq for the rest.

SO... the plan should be summer = 201, Fall= 301... Spring '10 for a few accounting courses... right? so simple!

NOT!

Alrighty... now the complicated part... financing.

In order to get aid... you have to be in school part time. (i.e. 6 credits... including summer semester). So.. I either have to "waste" aid by finding another class to take... or somehow come up with the money on my own.

Side Note: Even if I get tuition reimbursement from my department, they won't actually pay until after I complete the course.

Coming up with $1000 in about a month is going to be difficult.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Find another class to take! There must be something that would either help with your major, or that you are interested in

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find another class to take! There must be something that would either help with your major, or that you are interested in
Nothing that would help with my major... I already have the BA in Finance.

I suppose I could take an art course or something :p

But that really wastes a diminishing aid pool.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
If you use the aid now, will it still be available for you to use for grad school?

What about a course in something applicable to most professional careers, like project management or IT?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grad school is a different aid pool than undergrad. (so no matter what I do now doesn't effect my grad school funding options)

Undergrad I probably have about $10K left? I need to take about 18 or so credits.

Of course... if I go part time "for real" all my current student loans go back into deferment so that's $300 or so more per month that I don't have to pay in bills.

Gonna email my advisor and see if he has any suggestions for another summer course I could take that might help.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
You have 18 undergrad credits to take before grad school? Or is that all together?? If the former, I would definitely ramp it up to part-time, access the aid, and get finished sooner. The deferment for your loans is a definite bonus too.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm so frustrated and feel like I'm at a standstill.
Or as our plant manager says - Stillstand. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have 18 undergrad credits to take before grad school? Or is that all together?? If the former, I would definitely ramp it up to part-time, access the aid, and get finished sooner. The deferment for your loans is a definite bonus too.
18 credits I need... problem is... the first 6 have to be taken in order before I can take the last 12.

201 is 3 credits (SUMMER)
301 is 3 credits (but needs 201 to be completed first) (FALL)
the rest of the 18 credits needs 301 (SPRING)

hence my dilemna... I'll have to take an additional 6 credits of "useless" courses to supplement the next two semesters (which right now only have 3 credits in them) to be "part time" and therefor qualify for aid.

And these 18 credits are ones I need to qualify for Accounting jobs... it's basically an expansion of my Finance degree. The first few I need to be able to go to grad school for MS Accounting (which I'm not totally sure I am going to do... but want to set myself up for being able to in the future)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
18 credits I need... problem is... the first 6 have to be taken in order before I can take the last 12.

201 is 3 credits (SUMMER)
301 is 3 credits (but needs 201 to be completed first) (FALL)
the rest of the 18 credits needs 301 (SPRING)

hence my dilemna... I'll have to take an additional 6 credits of "useless" courses to supplement the next two semesters (which right now only have 3 credits in them) to be "part time" and therefor qualify for aid.

And these 18 credits are ones I need to qualify for Accounting jobs... it's basically an expansion of my Finance degree. The first few I need to be able to go to grad school for MS Accounting (which I'm not totally sure I am going to do... but want to set myself up for being able to in the future)
AHHHHHHHHHHH, I see. Here a full credit is two courses (each course is a half credit), so I was thinking you had a lot more schooling ahead of you, ha! But it sounds like a credit is like 1 credit hour, with each course being 3 hours (each course here is 3 hours per week).

Does the grad school program have electives in it? Any chance you could take a grad-level elective now, or would that not qualify for the undergrad aid... I know that our school sometimes has cross-listed courses that both undergrads and grads can take, it was the same course but had a different course number depending on which program you were in when you registered. But then if I took one as an undergrad, I could transfer it later to count towards my graduate program. Actually, I was able to apply a course from my B. Commerce towards my MPA.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Are you sure you need at least 6 credit hours for the summer term? Are you currently enrolled at least part-time now?

They always included the spring term with the summer term, so if I wanted to take one class in the summer, I could and still keep the aid. I guess if you have 0 credit hours for the spring semester then that's where the problem is.

Are there not any other classes that you think may be of interest to you, even if you don't think they'll be immediately beneficial? They're not really a waste, they're an opportunity to learn something new. They may very well come in handy at some point in the future. Most people wouldn't think a biology degree would be of any use to a lawyer, but it allows me to sit for the patent bar.

Are there any graduate level courses you could take? At my undergraduate institution, anyone with junior-level standing could enroll in a limited number of classes at the graduate level. Hopefully your advisor can give you some helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not enrolled currently.

Another problem is the only courses I can find that are being offered this summer that might sort of be useful... are offered either at the same time as the one I need... or elsewhere during the day which really fucks up my work schedule to the point I'm not even sure if my boss will let me. (I'd have to take 12 hrs of vacation every week for 8 weeks in a row... yikes)

301 is of course being offered in the evening... /facepalm... this summer but in the same time period as my 201 so I can't swing it.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Not enrolled currently.

Another problem is the only courses I can find that are being offered this summer that might sort of be useful... are offered either at the same time as the one I need... or elsewhere during the day which really fucks up my work schedule to the point I'm not even sure if my boss will let me. (I'd have to take 12 hrs of vacation every week for 8 weeks in a row... yikes)

301 is of course being offered in the evening... /facepalm... this summer but in the same time period as my 201 so I can't swing it.
I see. Yeah, I remember trying to navigate the summer schedules. They always sucked, classes were either offered at conflicting times or only offered every other summer (and it always seemed like the one I needed was offered the previous summer). In the vein of "misery loves company," I'm glad to see it wasn't just my school. I know that doesn't help at all, sorry.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish... I emailed the instructor for 301 asking if I could just take their course... but I haven't heard back.

If I could take 301 this summer all my problems would be solved... it's a night course... so I could take a daytime course and not screw up my work schedule too badly... plus I'd be all set to take as many accounting courses as I wanted this fall.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I wish... I emailed the instructor for 301 asking if I could just take their course... but I haven't heard back.

If I could take 301 this summer all my problems would be solved... it's a night course... so I could take a daytime course and not screw up my work schedule too badly... plus I'd be all set to take as many accounting courses as I wanted this fall.
Crossing my fingers for you! That would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I despise summer class schedules. I'm having issues getting my classes in order too, so it's not just you. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Yeah... that doesn't even include the darn $200 book I'm gonna have to buy as well.
I know its a small thing in the scheme, but have you tried Amazon for your books- DD has been getting all of hers there and saving a bundle! Good Luck with the adventure!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts