Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, again...VERY MUCH a fixer-upper.

My uncle James went with us. He's ball-parking an additional $100K to get it where we would want it.

1) Kitchen...surprisingly, not all that bad. Most appliances fairly new. They're white, which is OK. I'd rather have stainless, but could live with the white. Not as much cabinet/storage space as I have currently, but some clever cabinet features like built-in Lazy Susans and drawers help maximize what is there.

2) Living room...it would be great to knock out the wall between kitchen and living room and have one big area. Open fireplace connects to dining room.

3) Bathrooms...HEINOUS! One has a pink toilet. And yellow wallpaper with huge flowers. :-X

4) Bedrooms...There are three. None of them are very big. Closets...Not as big as ours, but several of them and, cool feature: Every closet in the house is cedar-lined. 8)

5) Downstairs...There is a fourth bedroom downstairs. I use the word "bedroom" very loosely. It looked more like Ruprecht's room, if you remember that from the clip the other day. :D But this was a very intriguing area of the house. There is a very large basement room with its own sink, lots of cabinets, a small bathroom with a walk-in shower. There is then another large basement room with more cabinets and lots of pegboard. All of this was very rough, and smelled kinda musty, but had potential to be great for storage.

6) Another cool feature...all the window sills are marble.

Kevin said he discovered that the realtor bought the house seven months ago for $225K. Hmmm.

G

·
whew....that sounds like a massive project Connie. You'd be a braver soul than me to take that on.

Then again, you could have a totally cool and unique house on a nice piece of land when it is done, provided you could tolerate all the stuff between now and then...

Much for you and Kevin to ponder, no?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Interesting that it is realtor owned, Connie. Is the asking price much more then what they paid for it? How long has it been on the market?

Bathrooms are something you could probably do yourself. A little paint, maybe a new vanity, definately a new toilet!! (Pink?? ::)) Brenda (Mylabsmom) reno'd her bathroom earlier this year. It is gorgeous! I think taking down the wall from LR to kitchen would be great! I love an "open" house plan.

It sounds as if all it really needs is cosmetic work. I guess what you could ask yourselves is "Are the 'bones' of the house good?" The little things can come with time.

But, the yard. It's yummy! :D

Location, location, location. ;) :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much for you and Kevin to ponder, no?
Yes indeedy!

Anne, I don't *think* she's had it on the market long...? At least she says she hasn't, but come on, who knows? She bought it seven months ago. She is asking $299K, so that's a pretty significant difference from what she paid. She claims to have cleaned it up quite a bit, and I'm sure she did (shoveling things out), but honestly: There is no carpet, only bare floors. :eek: The kitchen has "meh" tile. Fixtures are missing. Walls have been patched but not painted. As she admitted herself, "It shows very rough."

I think we all agreed it was not a $300K house in the shape it is in.

You guys didn't even see HALF the yard. Seriously, you wouldn't believe it. This lot is incredible.

The realtor *says* she has an offer on it now, but it's a contingent offer with a 72-hour backout clause. So, if the guy can sell his house, he'll buy it.

She also really seemed to be throwing a lot of names around...blah blah Lee Greenwood, blah blah someone coming over to see it blah blah Faith Hill... ::) Please. Country music stars are not buying in Donelson. Maybe some *used* to live in Donelson. Anyway. That seemed a little desperate to me.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I think I might've missed a previous after walk-through post...Connie: how do you feel about the house? I know you love the location and yard. Do you foresee this being the home of your dreams someday after you've put some work into it? If so (and as long as you know pretty much what you're in for), I say go for it!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I don't know why, Connie, but this (potential) house purchase is giving me the shivers for you guys. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just me, being a first time home owner two years ago. I thank God for my army tank of a house.

You two have the income and ambition to create what you want with the prospective house, but something is giving me the willies about it.

Can't explain it, exactly. :-\

G

·
Something about it just doesn't seem right, Commie. Big price - and you still have a lot of work to do.

I'm a firm believer that if the house is right, it will grab you. If you don't have a solid feeling, it's probably not right.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Ask to see the inspection that the other buyer had (presuming there was one). That should give you an additional idea of how things stand. Sounds like the realtor wants to make a quick buck but it's backfiring. I would offer 226k 8)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nance, funny you would say that. Something about it gives me the willies too.

Maybe it's that it's so close to a cliff. That really creeps me out. Maybe it's the stories I've heard of the previous owner. The realtor said today she was in a car accident, and died, but was revived. :eek: But she was never right after that. Lost sight in one eye and was unable to take care of the house.

Maybe it was the "Crazy Lady" story the neighbor told us.

Maybe it was hearing about all the roaches who used to inhabit the house.

I dunno.

I'm a fixer-upper kind of person when it comes to cosmetics...give me something that just needs a little patching, sanding, painting, weeding, etc. and I'm there. But this. Wow. Every room just needs...everything!

It's really the lot that appeals to me, if I think about it. Put this house anywhere else, and I would be :-X

So maybe that's my answer...

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I really think when you've found the right place you'll *know*. I'd keep looking! At least house shopping is pretty entertaining.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Maybe it's that it's so close to a cliff. That really creeps me out
While I think that place sound pretty neat - especially the grounds, I think you wouldn't be happy with it because of the cliff - it's always going to be there.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Shoot, Thats too bad! Keep looking & driving in the areas you want to live in. You will find it! ;)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Maybe a few questions to ask with this house. how long ago was the wiring updated? Are the outlets grounded? So the bathrooms have the right breakers? Are there enough outlets? is the wiring able to take things like a cooling system? Ceiling fans? Dryer?
And have the plumbing checked. What kind of pipes? How long ago were they professional cleaned out? Have a plumber run a camera through the pipes from the house to the city main.

If the realtor that currently owns the property says all that was done, ask for copies of receipts and invoices, call the person and make sure it's a legitimate business and the work was actually done.

Personally I hate the veiled threat of another offer. I don't think I would play that game.

And word to the wise, lenders hate fix and flips. That kind of thing gets the appraisal looked at with a fine toothed comb. Lenders also don't like large price increases in short periods of time w/o a very good reason.

I do think a pink toilet might be sort of kitschy and fun

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Well I would probably snatch it up, only because my husband can do all the work himself (I'd help obviously). The land sounds fantastic.

Go with your gut though Connie. What did Kevin think?

G

·
Realtor sounds shady to me.

And if you get any kind of willies, run. That's my policy on anything, even little things. ;)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I've been trying to post this for awhile :mad:

I don't trust anyone trying to sell me something! Therefore, it's imperative to do your homework.

Now my cut and paste original response.

I wouldn't worry too much about the house's finishes. Do you think this is the house you could live in for 20 years? To make all the changes you want, could you do it yourself? What's your threshold for living in a partially restored house? Could you live with unfinished projects?

If you can honestly answer yes to most of these questions and you could buy the house at the right price. It might be worth it. If you have to hire it all out and you don't have the patience for half completed projects the house would be a stress inducer.

I have lived with a kitchen sink on saw horses and plywood kitchen work surfaces for a couple of months. If you can rough it, it's worth it.

We have bought all the houses we've lived in as renovation projects. We paid substantially less for them compared to houses that are turn key

1 - 20 of 25 Posts