Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a pair of binoculars for my fiance for his birthday. I want a decent pair (but $200 or less) that are fairly compact/lightweight so that they are convenient to carry along on our hiking trips.

I know NOTHING about binoculars!

What is the difference between on that has "8 power x 30 mm objective lens" and one that is "16 x 50 wide angle" ? The first one says it has 320' at 1000 yards field of view and the second one says it has 168' viewing area at a distance of 1000 yards.

What is the most important thing to know when buying binoculars?

I'm also open to suggestion for specific models to buy. I would sort of like one with an integrated digital camera (I was looking at this one at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7006731&productCategoryId=cat04030&type=product&tab=1&id=1099392260911

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Sorry I don't know a lot about them, I always have a hard time getting them focused. During deer season they kept fogging up :mad:

The ones in that link look pretty fancy!! Good luck.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
What would fiance use them for?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
KLM said:
labs4life said:
What would fiance use them for?
Well, we go hiking a lot and he would like to have some for when we are on the trail, or on top of mountains or watching wildlife and such. He has a pair but they are very old, heavy and bulky.
Get a compact pair and avoid the wide angle ones. The less expensive wide angles aren't as sharp.

The first number is the magnification and the second number is the outer lens size in mm. General purpose 8 X30 is fine. Usually the smaller the outer lens the lighter they are.

I have a pair of bushnell 8 X 42 (?) compacts. I got them a year or so ago for around $125.00. I use them hiking,birding pretty much general purpose stuff. I'll try to find you a link.

eta: http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-8x42-excursion.html

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
KLM said:
Another question.

My camera has a 12X digital zoom on it. When you talk about a pair of binoculars having 8x magnification does that mean that my camera "sees" farther than the binoculars do? Or does it work differently with binoculars?
I'm not sure how digital zoom works as compared to optical zoom. It can't pysically see farther, it probably enlarges the image just like a photo copier can . I suspect clarity is comprimised with the digital zoom versus optically.

I still have 35mm film cameras and until I can find a a good digital Nikon that accepts all my lenses,I'm holding off. Nikon has a couple of nice digital camera bodies but I just can't justify the cost at his time. I need a rich uncle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts