Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I have arthritis but I never had any injection for that, I did get a cortisone shot in the knee once. The operative word is once. I will never,ever consciously let someone do that again.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
My DH (age 33) has arthritis in his hip. He hasn't had, nor has he been offered, injections.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
If it is a cortisone shot I have had several in my shoulder due to inflammation post surgery due to a car accident. You feel really good about an hour afterwards because of the pain medicine. The next morning hurts like he!! because they are stiff. But after moving around a while it loosens up. Then I felt good for several days/weeks.

From what I understand from my ortho doc is you have to be careful who is giving them really knows what they are doing. If they don't dilute the cortisone enough it forms like a glue glob and does no good. He says he has scraped more out of joints in surgery because whoever does them doesn't know what they are doing.

One of the main tricks is to move the joint immediately after getting the shot to work the cortisone through the joint. But remember not to over due it by lifting a lot as that will just increase the inflammation. I also found a heating pad that night and the next morning helped.

J

·
0 Posts
I've had arthritis since at least 10 years old. Or thats when I first remember it and the doc told me. Its mostly in my lower back. Its gotten worse over the years. I feel like an old lady. I take a super high dosage of Alieve and that usually gets me by when it acts up.

D

·
0 Posts
I have it in my knees. Been OK for a while - had a bad bout a few years ago where they really swelled up.

This is my reward for wearing 3" heels during my career in a department store when I walked on marble all day. 16 hour days. What a dope I was!

And the car accidents I was in -- there is that too.

T

·
0 Posts
I have it in both knees and might have it now in a hip. I have never taken any injections because when I had the cortisone done I said never again will I get a shot in my knee.

labs4life said:
I have arthritis but I never had any injection for that, I did get a cortisone shot in the knee once. The operative word is once. I will never,ever consciously let someone do that again.
Yup, that is all it took for me. Both my mom and brother have had them in their spin. Both have back problems. Moms is from a car accident and my brothers is from falling off a laddar. He had two disc that rub each other and one is almost gone. He lives in pain.

D

·
0 Posts
I had a cortisone shot in my FACE once!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It was all I could do to not punch out the dermatologist on the spot. OMG~ Plus left a huge scar for years.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have arthritis in my right knee and right hip from a riding spill four years ago.

I take glucosamine supplements and a high dose of Aleve (like Laurie). Cortisone injections have been offered to me, but I've heard so much negativity about them that I've been waffling.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've had my foot and elbow injected - I did it after all else had failed and my ability to work and enjoy life was being hampered. Not something you should do often but sometimes the benefits outway the risks.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Yes, I've tried the injections several times. Some joints they work, other they dont.
The spinal ones I got no relief from but the ones in my hip and knee work well.

K

·
0 Posts
i think i take enough cortisone with the prednisone... but ive been offered them and have refused em

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
SU has arthritis in nearly every joint. He took the cortisone shots as often as he could before he had both knees replaced. They helped a lot, however the time that the shot helped was less and less with each shot.
He has since started on Humira, which has been a miracle drug for him.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I have had three in the spine and one in the knee. THe ones for the spine did not help, but I had great relief with the knee. THe shot was in Dec. and I will see the Dr. tomorrow and hopefully get another one. The shot was very painful and the knee hurt more for a day or two, but then the pain completely disappeared.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts