Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the movie: "Marley and me" i was wondering on who has the worst Labradork or bad behaving Labrador !? So, i mean the type off Labrador who has dropped out of (dog)school and stuff like that. Or maybe has the same behaviour like Marley did (A labrador with a hyperactive rocket pack under his tail!) ..

So, who has or fit in to this description Marley gave us !? :scared:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Felix,

This doesn't address the specific question. I believe that we have all had demonstration of some piece of Marley, but managed to get through it either as a phase or with training. But I will give you an example of a Marley trait demonstrated by a GSD mix we had back in the 70s. She did not want to be left alone in the house. And all heck would break loose if a thunderstorm came through. Furniture destroyed, carpet torn up, found an open window on the second floor and jumped through the screen. I expected to find her dead outside, but there she was running back home from down the street. All that led to having to put her in the basement when we left the house. That worked until the first thunderstorm, literally clawed her way through the door and went to work on the back door. Honestly believe if we were gone 4 hours instead of 2, she would have clawed through the solid door to the outside also.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I left the movie laughing " I'm going home to my own Marley!"

The most Marley like thing she did was snack on bird, squirrel and porcupine on a walk, then after the visit to the e-vet, she counter surfed two slices of pizza!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
After reading the book, and drying the tears.. I thanked my lucky stars to have pretty mellow labs like Ceaser and Augustus. They each have their "Marley" moments. Gus is like an infant, everything goes in his mouth! I'm afraid he is gonna think his name is 'leave it' :laugh:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
One word: RHYS

Almost 8 years old and still horrible! (Love him to death but AAAAHHHHH!) We used kibble on tuesday to bait the puppies, kept it in my coat pocket, pups ate all the kibble, but when I hung my jacket on the hook, I came back an hour later to find he'd devoured my jacket...feathers EVERYWHERE.

That, the deep fryer incident of 2007, eating a part of the deck, his contant barage of 'play with me, play with me' makes me wonder if he's not part energizer bunny.

As much as I can't stand him, I love him 1000 times more.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I haven't seen the movie because I know I'll be a be a big ball baby at the end. But the worst thing Mckenzie did was pulled me in the river one day as she went after a duck. She was about a year old and we were still working on her leash manners. One of those weird warm winter days almost sixty (but the water was crazy cold :scared:) She saw a duck and jumped, I slid two or three steps got tangled in the leash and ended up butt first in the water. Doesn't help that I'm a huge klutz anyway, I paid much better attention after that :confused:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I am sure Ed know the 4 year old Yellow Lab at our dog park named Gunner.

Gunner and Marley could have came from the same litter, that dog is nothing but non stop energy. A couple of months ago Gunner found a open spot of water on the river and decided he wanted to go swimming, only problem was - he could not get back out :surprise:, luckily the ice was thick enough around the edges and the water is pretty shallow this time of year, another person was able to help him out.

Hunter was a devil as a puppy, destroyed numerous shoes, I lost count of the remotes he destroyed and ripped all the insulation out of my unfinished basement walls. Lucky for him he outgrew his destruction.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Tucker as a pup made me cry several times.. a lot in obedience.. but he's a perfect dog now =)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Sometimes I think about someone who knew nothing about dogs/puppies and did no research beforehand raising Baloo, and it makes me shudder. :scare:

Without crate training, constant supervision, a structured exercise schedule and being in various (obedience/agility) classes weekly for the first year and a half of his life, he would have been an absolute terror, I can't even imagine. It honestly gives me a pretty good idea of why so many young labs are given up. If I hadn't been as prepared as I was and had access to all the tools I did, what would I have thought about this "crazy" dog? How much damage would he have done had he not been crated and supervised constantly? How much more unmanageable would he be even to this day had he never had any training, never gone to class, didn't get regular exercise? I'm in awe just thinking about how bad it *could* have been.

Raising him was really challenging even as prepared as I was, even with all the tools I had. I just can't even imagine how people do it that DON'T have the benefit of research and preparedness, helpful sites like this one to normalize experiences. It boggles the mind. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Alfie doesnt fit into that description at all, we have been so lucky..no getting thrown out of school, not chewing the sofa etc Ok he has his moments where he will not listen to me but is noway by any means "bad" lol

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Hunter said:

Gunner and Marley could have came from the same litter, that dog is nothing but non stop energy. A couple of months ago Gunner found a open spot of water on the river and decided he wanted to go swimming, only problem was - he could not get back out :surprise:, luckily the ice was thick enough around the edges and the water is pretty shallow this time of year, another person was able to help him out.
Gunner! This would be the boy whose Mom has an e-collar on him because he thinks every other animal wants to be his girlfriend and that is the only way she can discourage him????? I think its the same high energy fun-loving Gunner.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We have been very lucky . . . but he has his moments. In the book (I don't remember them saying this in the movie) when Marley steals something, he dances around in what they call the "Marley Mambo". We have our own version of that, we call it the Bauer Boogy. He takes things he shouldn't have, and runs while ducking and weaving to stay away. The difference is that Bauer isn't destructive. He took my Blackberry once, and called a friend of mine (who got to listen to the whole thing in a voice mail). He took my keys once, and kept setting off the car alarm, but he isn't destructive (and has never swallowed jewlery :laugh:).

He is only 1, and still has that "puppy excitement". Sometimes he is so excited to be doing what he is doing, he doesn't watch where he is going. He was running with a dog at the dog park, and turned to watch the dog chasing him, and slammed into the tree in front of him :hurt:. The other day we were playing, and I faked a throw to one side of the yard (making him run in that direction), and then turned at the last minute and threw the ball the other way. When he realized I was throwing it in another direction, he ran right into me . . . and took my legs right out from under me! Landed flat on my back in the driveway :hurt:.

Maybe a little Marley like, but not in a bad way ;).

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Endofile said:
Hunter said:

Gunner! This would be the boy whose Mom has an e-collar on him because he thinks every other animal wants to be his girlfriend and that is the only way she can discourage him????? I think its the same high energy fun-loving Gunner.
YEP!!! That is the Gunner

He tried that with Hunter one time, now Hunter gets the trail to himself when Gunner is around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts