Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have laminate!!! Anytime Bozzie has pee'd I've been able to clean it up. No we have a couple of spots where something wet must have sat, a mystery to everyone, and yeah it's bubbled. Not horrible, just one spot. We have the really cheap stuff though. I heard the more expensive stuff is better. I really want to put it in a few others rooms, but no money.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
well, lack of foresight is testing my floors big time.. remember the pic of my kitchen? the back door is right there? that's my main door.. BIG SNOW has been on that floor.. no problems yet..

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I don't have laminate but wish I did. I have hardwood....too much upkeep which I'm not keeping up with.

I've heard so much praise of the laminate floors...supposedly easy as pie to care for!!

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
How hard are laminate floors to put down ?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
We have it, and I like it, but the dogs have scraped some of the texture off leaving black spots. I want tile everywhere next (would like carpet again but the boys are allergic to it).

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
Im lookin into the bamboo flooring . :laugh:

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
storyteller said:
How hard are laminate floors to put down ?
it's not hard. we did our whole house. they just snap together. You do need a good saw though to cut the ends of at the length you need. and we learnt the hard way that it's best to stagger the joins ... otherwise it just looks weird :laugh:

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We have laminate in the kitchen that came with the house. I figure it is 7 years old. I don't like the fake look of laminates but I have to admit it is the most durable floor in our place. The area around the water bowls is always wet and the floor is fine there. We have hardwoods and ceramic throughout the rest of the house which require more work than the laminate. We use Windex and a terry cloth mop and the floors look brand new.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I have it, but no pee so far. My Mom has had it for at least 3 years in her back entrance and kitchen. The installer glued the seams (wasn't required) and said that would keep any water from getting through and under. It works great. I go and stand with my snowy boots at her door. She is elderly and DOES NOT get down and wipe it up. Looks like the day it was put down. I have some bought to put in our second bath, and will glue the seams.
We had ours installed and from what I saw, it isn't too complicated but you have to make sure the floor is level. We had a large area that needed a leveler put down. It looks better if you undercut the door jams. I didn't want to take the chance that my husband would take forever so I paid and installer. Took him and his helper about 12 hours to do 650 sq. feet.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We had the cheap laminate and it got peed on all the time, plus 70 gallons of water dumped in one sitting, and we never had any moisture issues. I like the idea of gluing the seams, though--I bet it would really decrease any moisture issues you might have otherwise.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
storyteller said:
Im lookin into the bamboo flooring . :laugh:
It's pretty easy provided your subfloor (and knees) is (are) in good shape, and you have a chop saw. I helped a friend put it down in his living room and the hallways (probably a total of 800-900 sq. ft.) and in about 24 hours we ripped up the carpet, prepped the floors and laid the laminate. I think it took longer to repaint the baseboards than it did to lay the floor. Part of that was that the builder decided to go crazy on the morter and the tile in the entryway took a long time to get up.

Sandy, the laminate (I know it was from Lowe's, but I don't remember which brand it was - I know it wasn't the most expensive, it was one of the middle tiers) has been peed on - by their dog and their kid - stuff has been spilled on it and they have lots of company over. It's been down for about two years now and still looks good.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
We've got it in our kitchen and foyer -- professionally installed about 2 yrs ago. The salesdude recommended AGAINST hardwood because of Wes.

Thus far, it's been terrific -- tough as iron, durable as all get-out, no pops/splits/cracked seams, non-stainable, no pee. The only drawback has been that Wes finds it incredibly slippery. Much to our humor and his embarassment.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
kelli said:
well, lack of foresight is testing my floors big time.. remember the pic of my kitchen? the back door is right there? that's my main door.. BIG SNOW has been on that floor.. no problems yet..
Ditto that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts