1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The design is cool, but what about material? We did a swingset like this for our kids a long while ago, and when we bought it, it contained only a lumber LIST and not the lumber itself. We needed to go purchase that ourselves. Also -- be careful with materials. Weren't there recently articles in the paper about pressure-treated lumber being hazardous to kids? Maybe you can go w/a synthetic that won't need care and won't contain dangerous chemicals.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I can't tell the quality by the photo. It probably wouldn't hurt to go to Toys R Us and take a look. Do you have Mennonites or Amish in your area? We have a few that make beautiful top quality wood products, very reasonable priced. I have seen a few playsets built by them that are very nice.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BuddyandBailey said:
Do they have any displays on at the store? Is your hubby handy he could make one
My husband is not handy AT ALL when it comes to construction type stuff really. My sis was just telling me about how
some of her neighbors built there own for half the price of these kits....and they're sturdier. But I don't think John could.

I haven't looked at the store yet.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
labs4life said:
I can't tell the quality by the photo. It probably wouldn't hurt to go to Toys R Us and take a look. Do you have Mennonites or Amish in your area? We have a few that make beautiful top quality wood products, very reasonable priced. I have seen a few playsets built by them that are very nice.
No, we don't have any Amish here. :laugh:

Dweck.....good to know!

J

·
0 Posts
Charla,
My neighbors just bought this at our Toys R Us. They have similar ones at Home Depot. Now that my kids have played on it, I think I am going to go this route when we move in June.

I helped my neigbor set it up. Two moms can put this together. Its very heavy duty and you dont have to worry about sawing lumber, splinters, rotten wood (or even gray wood, LOL). Plus you still get that rustic look.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2602087

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JollyMolly said:
Charla,
My neigbors just bought this at our Toys R Us. They have similar ones at Home Depot. Now that my kids have played on it, I think I am going to go this route when we move in June.

I helped my neigbor set it up. Two moms can put this together. Its very heavy duty and you dont have to worry about sawing lumber, splinters, rotten wood (or even gray wood, LOL). Plus you still get that rustic look.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2602087
Hmmm....that could be a possibility!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
My neighbor bought one from Sams club about 3-4 years ago for about the same price. I could hear him in the backyard screaming and cussing the whole time he put it up. If you do go this route FOLLOW DIRECTIONS CLOSELY! AND make sure to purchase 3-4 foot re-rod shaped in a "U" to anchor the thing down

A storm came through last year and blew it down, ripped off the swing set portion. he will need to purchase some new lumbar to repair it.

This is the only pic I can find - just imagine a swing set about 8 feet long on the left hand side

Here is a picture from Sams club, this is $1200, neighbors looks similar to this, but without the front porch.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wowww! that's pretty cool! I wonder if John could build that? :laugh:
Does that price cover everything shown?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
One other comment, Charla. After constructing this huge thing in our backyard, that is still there, falling apart like some aging dinosaur that's been caught in LaBrea, the kids played with it VERY LITTLE. When I think of the time invested v. the benefits reaped, it comes up pretty short. You may THINK the kids will be in the backyard and sunshine, playing pirate ships and cinderella castles, swinging from dangers and engaging in other derring-do, but in reality, our's got a collective MEH from the kids who then sped off on their trikes and skates for other adventures.

Just a thought.......

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I second the lumber store or Costco/sams club. They are always on display and tend to be of good quality. I'd go with cedar as it is rot & bug resistant, & stong! (loving the sam's club one...may be time to upgrade! ;D)

J

·
0 Posts
dweck said:
One other comment, Charla. After constructing this huge thing in our backyard, that is still there, falling apart like some aging dinosaur that's been caught in LaBrea, the kids played with it VERY LITTLE. When I think of the time invested v. the benefits reaped, it comes up pretty short. You may THINK the kids will be in the backyard and sunshine, playing pirate ships and cinderella castles, swinging from dangers and engaging in other derring-do, but in reality, our's got a collective MEH from the kids who then sped off on their trikes and skates for other adventures.

Just a thought.......
I think it depends on the kids. My kids are on our swing set all the time. It was raining yesterday and they asked if they could go swing if they wore their raincoats. My kids would rather play in the backyard.

I love the Sams Club one, but I just checked online and it's almost 1600 bucks. A little out of my price range.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Sams club web site
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=353487&prDeTab=1#A

Neighbors did come with everything. All the wood is pre-cut and pre-drilled. All you need is a good drill, hammer, couple of vise grips, and the ability to read instructions.

Like Dan said, I very seldom see the neighbor kids on it. Maybe once a week, they could be on it more, I just do not see them on it.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dweck said:

Just a thought.......
Oh no....our kids (and all their friends) play in our backyard everyday! We just tore down the last swingset we bought for Darbi's 3rd bday this past weekend. It was used A LOT. But it was falling apart (metal swingset) and becoming an eyesore so it's time for something new. My kids are little monkeys....lol. They can't go for long without a swingset. :laugh:

J

·
0 Posts
Thats weird. Its cheaper through Hunter's link. Maybe its not available in my store so they have to charge a shipping fee.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts