Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do something.

I don't know where to start.

I cry.

I was so distraught, I forgot to ask my question. LOL.

Anyways- What can I eat on South Beach?? I just dropped a ton of money on groceries today, so I can't go out and stock up until next week. I may be hitting the book store tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Dweck is the south beach master. But I'll chime in. I did it and lost over 20 lbs. quickly.

Here are some great message boards....you can get the basics w/o buying the book.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/south-beach-diet/
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-fbsouthbeach&msg=21690.1&ctx=0
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=110

There are 3 phases. Phase 1 is two weeks and the hardest. It eliminates carbs and sugar. Phase 2 lasts until you've lost all your weight. You gradually add good carbs and fruit back in. Phase 3 is maintenance.

So, for Phase 1, no fruit, no sugar, no bread. I lost 6 lbs. in Phase 1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,489 Posts
My SIL bought us this book for Christmas. We are going to start it on Sunday. I've read a lot of the book already, sounds like something that could work and be able to maintain long-term. I say go for it. We should start a South Beach Buddy Thread or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
I just started Weight Watchers last week...I think it is WAY easier to follow than South Beach...too soon to tell if I will be successful, but so far, I like the program and would recommend it :)
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I'm doing something the same, more of a low carb kinda diet...carbs and sugars are my evil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,489 Posts
Tuckersmydog said:
I just started Weight Watchers last week...I think it is WAY easier to follow than South Beach...too soon to tell if I will be successful, but so far, I like the program and would recommend it :)
We were going to do weight watcher's but then we got this book as a gift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,085 Posts
Ask away. I am the SB poster boy.

Phase 1 -- the purge -- is tough. Everything WHITE is evil. White bread, white rice, white sugar, potatoes, etc. etc. Also (and I found this toughest) NO FRUIT!!! Even veggies are suspect, like corn and carrots (it's the sweetners, even the natural ones, that are a problem).

Phase 2 gets easier. Every carb is knocked back with fiber. So if you're eating bread, it's that zillion grain stuff that keeps everything... er... moving, as it were. You're also eating six times per day, so I was never really hungry. Plenty of almonds, pistachios, beef jerky. Lo carb, even if it's high cal. Worked like a charm.

Phase 3 starts adding things back. I'm back to eating *some* fruit (still no pineapple, melons or bananas, as they're the least-friendly carb fruits out there). Still nixing things like pizza and fries. I do eat pasta, but it's whole-grain.

Questions?? Feel free to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. :)

I started at sparkpeople on Monday and I'm really liking it so far. I am going to see how far I can get on my own. If I do need something else, I think SB might be it. Althought the 2 week purge may kill me slowly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,489 Posts
dweck said:
Ask away. I am the SB poster boy.

Phase 1 -- the purge -- is tough. Everything WHITE is evil. White bread, white rice, white sugar, potatoes, etc. etc. Also (and I found this toughest) NO FRUIT!!! Even veggies are suspect, like corn and carrots (it's the sweetners, even the natural ones, that are a problem).

Phase 2 gets easier. Every carb is knocked back with fiber. So if you're eating bread, it's that zillion grain stuff that keeps everything... er... moving, as it were. You're also eating six times per day, so I was never really hungry. Plenty of almonds, pistachios, beef jerky. Lo carb, even if it's high cal. Worked like a charm.

Phase 3 starts adding things back. I'm back to eating *some* fruit (still no pineapple, melons or bananas, as they're the least-friendly carb fruits out there). Still nixing things like pizza and fries. I do eat pasta, but it's whole-grain.

Questions?? Feel free to ask.
Dan, remember a while back I talked about my husband and trying to motivate him? Well, his sister bought him this book and to my surprise he is willing to try it. (now if I could just get him to exercise!)
So I am going to do it too. The problem is he's kind of a picky eater so it's going to be harder for him. Me, I like everything. He just can't believe that he's not allowed to eat fruit. We will get there, though. I am just so excited that he is going to do this!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,085 Posts
I exercized exactly 0 during the droppage of most of my weight. Well, okay, not exactly 0; I did walk Wesley 2x per day, as usual. But not exactly at a cardio-pounding, body-sculpting rate.

It wasn't until I had reached maintenance that I decided to kick everything up a notch and start jogging/biking/toning. Frankly, I was too much of a load to do any cardio back then. Jogging to stop the teakettle from screaming on the range was enough to get me to huff and puff. Now, I'm doing about 2miles daily running or 7-9miles biking (weather permitting).

My point is that SB worked for me independently of an exercise program -- and the book clearly says this. The bennies can be magnified (and quickened) by regular workouts (and they bring add'l bennies as well). But they're not essential to success.
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
dweck said:
Ask away. I am the SB poster boy.

Phase 1 -- the purge -- is tough. Everything WHITE is evil. White bread, white rice, white sugar, potatoes, etc. etc. Also (and I found this toughest) NO FRUIT!!! Even veggies are suspect, like corn and carrots (it's the sweetners, even the natural ones, that are a problem).

Phase 2 gets easier. Every carb is knocked back with fiber. So if you're eating bread, it's that zillion grain stuff that keeps everything... er... moving, as it were. You're also eating six times per day, so I was never really hungry. Plenty of almonds, pistachios, beef jerky. Lo carb, even if it's high cal. Worked like a charm.

Phase 3 starts adding things back. I'm back to eating *some* fruit (still no pineapple, melons or bananas, as they're the least-friendly carb fruits out there). Still nixing things like pizza and fries. I do eat pasta, but it's whole-grain.

Questions?? Feel free to ask.
That's some good stuff you just wrote there Dan!!! Thank you SO much!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,489 Posts
I went to the grocery store last night to get a bunch of stuff for next weeks launching of South Beach. You should have seen my cart. I was so proud when I went to the checkout and saw what everybody was buying. I had nothing buy veggies, low fat dairy, fish and ground turkey, eggs,etc. I even found some Greek yogurt to make this homemade cheese with. It was great! Made me feel good. Hope it lasts! :happy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
dweck said:
I exercized exactly 0 during the droppage of most of my weight. Well, okay, not exactly 0; I did walk Wesley 2x per day, as usual. But not exactly at a cardio-pounding, body-sculpting rate.

It wasn't until I had reached maintenance that I decided to kick everything up a notch and start jogging/biking/toning. Frankly, I was too much of a load to do any cardio back then. Jogging to stop the teakettle from screaming on the range was enough to get me to huff and puff. Now, I'm doing about 2miles daily running or 7-9miles biking (weather permitting).

My point is that SB worked for me independently of an exercise program -- and the book clearly says this. The bennies can be magnified (and quickened) by regular workouts (and they bring add'l bennies as well). But they're not essential to success.
I also didn't exercise at all during my weightloss. I have been pretty much stuck for many months because I'm still too lazy to start exercising and get off the plateau.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top