Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/21/obama-freezes-salaries-of_n_159739.html

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama announced on his first day in office Wednesday that he is freezing the pay of the about a hundred White House employees who make over $100,000 a year.

The freeze would hold salaries at their current levels. It is part of a presidential memorandum being issued Wednesday when Obama attends a swearing-in for staff at the White House.

In a statement, Obama said "families are tightening their belts, and so should Washington."

Aides making above $100,00 include the high-profile jobs of White House chief of staff, national security adviser and press secretary. Other aides who work in relative anonymity also fit into that cap, if Obama follows a structure similar to the one George W. Bush set up.

"They deserve a government that truly is of, and by, the American people," Obama said.

He also announced a change in policy that will require each federal agency and department to give full attention to Freedom of Information requests and said he expects members of his administration to be responsive to such pleas.

"Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this administration," Obama said in a statement to reporters.

He said the orders he was issuing Wednesday do not go as far as he would like, but that they do go a long way toward "marking a new era" in America.

T

·
0 Posts
How much does a president make? Is he freezing his pay too? Serious question?

Is is Obama's pay getting frozen too?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ender's Mom said:
"Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this administration," Obama said in a statement to reporters.
Does that mean he'll be repealing the Patriot Act?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He also announced a change in policy that will require each federal agency and department to give full attention to Freedom of Information requests
What does that mean, exactly? :crazy:

I thought the Prez only make about $250K.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
How cool! I love the Freedom of Information stuff! :D

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Personally, I think the president's wage should be cut and benefits for "retired" presidents should be cut. There's not reason Bush, Clinton, Bush and Carter should be raking in $197,000/year. Actually, I don't know if the other presidents all get the same pension, but I know that's what was reported in the news as what Bush will get.

I don't know why they didn't make the 10-year limit on Secret Service retroactive either. There was a time when past presidents probably needed it, not now. Clinton has done quite well and doesn't need welfare. I'm sure if Bush wrote a book it would make millions simply because he's controversial, so I don't see where he'd need it either.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Nick said:
Personally, I think the president's wage should be cut and benefits for "retired" presidents should be cut. There's not reason Bush, Clinton, Bush and Carter should be raking in $197,000/year. Actually, I don't know if the other presidents all get the same pension, but I know that's what was reported in the news as what Bush will get.

I don't know why they didn't make the 10-year limit on Secret Service retroactive either. There was a time when past presidents probably needed it, not now. Clinton has done quite well and doesn't need welfare. I'm sure if Bush wrote a book it would make millions simply because he's controversial, so I don't see where he'd need it either.
You need to be able to write into order to write a book, I don't think Bush is qualified for that! Now, he can hire someone to write his book for him....

Sorry...just had to put that in!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Nick said:
Secret Service protection of former presidents protects the current one as well. Can you imagine what the kidnapping by terrorists of a former president would do to the current president's ability to make decisions? What would he have to do to keep a former president from having his head sawed off on al jazeera? Do you really want to leave that kind of protection to private security when you have some of the most highly trained security in the world available? The cost is nothing when compared to the potential problems.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Nick said:

Because Harry Truman left office and was virtually broke....those men (and presumably someday women) gave of themselves one of the most stressful jobs in the world....for WAY less than most CEOs working for many insignificant corporations....they work even on vacation...they never get to leave the job behind...it follows them wherever they go...I don't think a pension they get is unreasonable.

Bush will be the first president to receive only 10 years of secret service protection....(since secret service started protecting the president)....I believe Johnson was the first ex president to receive SS protection....(because of the Kennedy assassination)...at the same time ex pres. spouses also got protection....The Clintons will get SS protection for life...

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
So on the first day of work they have their pay frozen.....yawn. Is it a far stretch to believe that when they should be getting raises that the "freeze" will suddenly be gone.

Politics.....nothing more.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
gundogpa said:
So on the first day of work they have their pay frozen.....yawn. Is it a far stretch to believe that when they should be getting raises that the "freeze" will suddenly be gone.

In retail they call that "window dressing." ;)

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
delmonico said:
gundogpa said:

In retail they call that "window dressing." ;)
My first day of work my wages were frozen too.........then when it was time for my review they were "Unfrozen". LOL It's quite a concept really. I can't believe more folks don't do it.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Golfgirlrobin said:
Nick said:
Secret Service protection of former presidents protects the current one as well. Can you imagine what the kidnapping by terrorists of a former president would do to the current president's ability to make decisions? What would he have to do to keep a former president from having his head sawed off on al jazeera? Do you really want to leave that kind of protection to private security when you have some of the most highly trained security in the world available? The cost is nothing when compared to the potential problems.
Okay, so you object to the current law (which from what I've read only applies to presidents starting with Bush) that limits it to 10 years. If that's the law, I don't know why they just didn't make it apply to all ex-presidents. Bush and Clinton are worth millions, I have little doubt they can afford their own security.

Because Harry Truman left office and was virtually broke....those men (and presumably someday women) gave of themselves one of the most stressful jobs in the world....for WAY less than most CEOs working for many insignificant corporations....they work even on vacation...they never get to leave the job behind...it follows them wherever they go...I don't think a pension they get is unreasonable.
Yeah, I've heard the sob story - he couldn't afford postage for the letters he got right after office and had to take out a loan until he got his feet under him. I really don't think what happened to Truman is applicable today - they tend to make a lot more money after office these days. $197,000 is chump change to Bush and Clinton as they're both multi-millionaires. I don't know many jobs that get a pension worth 50% of your salary for only 4 years (maybe 8) of work. Both Clinton and Bush will earn far more in pension than in salary, though still not much in comparison to their overall net worth.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Tundra Aries said:
How much does a president make? Is he freezing his pay too? Serious question?

Is is Obama's pay getting frozen too?
The President's pay is set by Congress, anyway, I believe. I would have been alot more impressed had he cut their pay. Even at some of the best companies people are getting pay cuts and company match to 401K's are being suspended.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts