Just Labradors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month old White English Lab. We have had 2 american labs before and they were full of energy. This pup could not be more different. To follow is some info on how he is. I am wondering if this is normal:

• Sleeps and pretty lazy most of the time
  • Isn’t very excited to see us or anyone really. Walks over quickly to say hi if we encourage him but then goes and lays down.
  • Does not retrieve anything and will only really play with toys tied on a stick that we run around with.
  • We have gone to the lake a couple of times but he has no interest in going in the water (doesn’t like his tiny pool at home either). Perhaps he is just too young.
  • Still goes up the stairs like a really young pup would (very slow and step by step) – does not run up like my other labs did.
  • He still cannot get up onto a higher surface such as a couch by himself – won’t jump up like most dogs would. Will put his front paws up and then waits to be lifted.
  • Everyone who meets him cannot believe how chill he is and asks why he is not like a normal pup.
He eats 2 cups of food a day and seems healthy but why is he so chill?

Thanks for your thoughts : )

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have had three English Labradors. Still have our black Lab, who is now nine. Our first Lab, was yellow, but really white in color. She was a retriever in name only. Did NOT retrieve anything and hated going in the pool/swimming. However, she did love going to the beach and would run around there in pure bliss anytime we took her (until her back legs wouldn't let her run anymore). She did not like going very far out from the beach into the ocean. I don't think she liked it when her feet lifted off the ground. Same thing for going to lakes. Would go in the water but stayed closer to shore. She was really like a large lap dog! Affectionate and loved cuddling. Our 2nd Lab, was pure retriever. Would chase the ball all day and night. And if you threw a ball out into the waves at the beach he would go as far into the water as necessary to retrieve it. Our 3rd and present Lab, not much of a retriever either, but sure loves eating poop. As a consequence, he doesn't get to run free off leash that much b/c as soon as we let him, he finds poop (thanks to the lazy dog owners who don't pick up after their dogs) to gobble up. He is Mr. Super Chill. He let's puppies jump all over him, likes everybody, etc.

In summary, I think every dog has it own particular personality. Do you know anything about the parents? The only thing I would want to be sure is that this pup doesn't have any dysplasia that might be causing pain and that's why he is not jumping and running as much as you might expect. Have you asked your vet? Some of the breeders on this site might have some good feedback as well.

-Arline

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have had three English Labradors. Still have our black Lab, who is now nine. Our first Lab, was yellow, but really white in color. She was a retriever in name only. Did NOT retrieve anything and hated going in the pool/swimming. However, she did love going to the beach and would run around there in pure bliss anytime we took her (until her back legs wouldn't let her run anymore). She did not like going very far out from the beach into the ocean. I don't think she liked it when her feet lifted off the ground. Same thing for going to lakes. Would go in the water but stayed closer to shore. She was really like a large lap dog! Affectionate and loved cuddling. Our 2nd Lab, was pure retriever. Would chase the ball all day and night. And if you threw a ball out into the waves at the beach he would go as far into the water as necessary to retrieve it. Our 3rd and present Lab, not much of a retriever either, but sure loves eating poop. As a consequence, he doesn't get to run free off leash that much b/c as soon as we let him, he finds poop (thanks to the lazy dog owners who don't pick up after their dogs) to gobble up. He is Mr. Super Chill. He let's puppies jump all over him, likes everybody, etc.

In summary, I think every dog has it own particular personality. Do you know anything about the parents? The only thing I would want to be sure is that this pup doesn't have any dysplasia that might be causing pain and that's why he is not jumping and running as much as you might expect. Have you asked your vet? Some of the breeders on this site might have some good feedback as well.

-Arline
Thank you for your response. It is nice to hear that some other labs are a bit more chill as well.

The vet checked Beau over and says he is in good health. He advised we should feed him a little more while he is still growing. He agreed is was not like a "usual" puppy regarding his behaviour and he suggested taking him to a dog park to be around more dogs and that may bring him out of his shell. Beau does love other dogs. We have now taken him three times over the weekend and he seems to love playing with the other dogs and racing around. When he gets home he is the same but perhaps just needs to be socialized more.

The breeder got back to me and basically said his parents are calm, but some of the other labs they breed are more energetic. She then suggested that he probably needs a sibling and that in her next litter she can hold a more energetic pup for us. We do not have the space or plan to get another large dog so I wasn't very happy that this was the only suggestion given. I had asked some questions but none of them were answered.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts