Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. We are getting Jasmine a new, bigger crate in the next few days and we have been using a plastic one we really like. Should we switch to wire or stick with what we like now? Are either safer than the other?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Only crate I've ever used is the large wire one donated to me by Lab Rescue when I brought Flynnie home almost six years ago. He loves his office! :happy:

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Wire

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
WIRE

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Like Georgie we have one of each- I like the wire because its collapsible and easier to transport. We mainly use the plastic one when we are camping, it gives Sammi somewhere to go if we are outside and she just needs a break! We could just use the wire one and throw something over it to seclude her a little more, I think either works just fine! Sammi likes either :laugh:

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Wire is my preference, but if you like the plastic and it works for you, stick with it. ;)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I like wire for home, and though I don't have one now that fits my dogs, I feel that plastic might be a little safer for travel.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
We have several of both. I prefer the plastic w/wire windows on all sides. The girls seem to like the plastic better most the time & if there is a major accident, it is much easier to pop the top off the plastic & hose it out that get the mess out of the wires. The plastic also does a better job of keeping dirt & loose hair "in" the crate. Daisy sleeps in the open wire crate & her hair even with a cloth crate surround (around most of 3 sides) is EVERY WHERE in their bed room all the time. I usually use our extra metal with the fosters. ;)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We have both, but the boys seem to prefer the plastic. I do, too, even though the wire one collapses and the pan is easy to pull out for cleaning. I just drag the plastic ones out into the yard and hose them down once in a while, no problem.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I got the wire kind because I thought it would make them feel more secure when they were in the crate at night and could see me. I think the plastic would be better for traveling tho...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It depends on what I'm doing and with the dog. I've had a wire crate, the plastic airline crate, and now the only one I use with Oona is a fold down kind because its easier to travel with. The dog I'm currently fostering is very smart and if I had her in a wire crate she would have figured out the latch in about 2 minutes. The airline crate has a spring loaded handle that you need to compress to open which she can't do.
Olie

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I've used wire crates and when I no longer need them I donate them to new puppy owners. I keep one crate for emergencies.

I find the wire crates easier to store,easier to clean and I like the removable divider for when the dog grows.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I have the best of both worlds. I have an expensive plastic crate that collaspes but I swear like a wire one it weighs a ton. Mine is a Star crate I bought on-line and Miss Happy Butt loves it. I have tried putting it away as she hasn't been crated in years but she has a fit if it isn't somewhere she can go sleep in it. Currently it is in the living room. We have a huge wire crate in the family room when she was a puppy but I gave that to rescue. I think she was about 4 months old when I stopped crating her at night as she was in shut in the bedroom with me and I swear that dog is related to Rip Van Winkle...she loves her sleep and gets ticked if she is woke up.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Plastic or soft sided

1 - 18 of 18 Posts