Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of a friend has posed the following question. Anyone here have any words of wisdom to offer up? TIA!

I'm visiting Portland, OR for the first time, and I'm trying to
figure out where to stay. I don't know anything about the
neighborhoods, so I'm just looking for general recommendations. Is
this a city where I should aim to stay in downtown? Would a
different area be better? Which one?

Thanks for your help!
Julie

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I live in Beaverton, just west of downtown. There are a few hotels, which I could recommend, just off the freeway, 10 minutes into downtown, safe area.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I guess the answer would depend on what she is going to do while here. Does she need to be in downtown or a suburb. Also-how much does she want to spend. I can, as the others on this board, can give some recommendations.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I'm on the east-side, about 10 miles from downtown. Need to know where she/they want to stay or what they have in mind to do, site see, activities, etc.! Lot's of suggestions if we know more! Are they going to be here during the Rose Festival, starts June 5th? Just need a little more info.:)

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
We stayed at The Nines in downtown in January. I got such a great deal on Expedia that the room was almost free (air/hotel package). I liked downtown, and that was where we needed to stay, but The Nines was way too pretentious for me. I loved the decorating though. There was a lot of shopping nearby, but not a lot of restaurants in the immediate area. Kimpton has a hotel around the corner that has a lab mascot named "Art". I think that it's the Hotel Monaco. The other nice thing about downtown is the free public transportation. That's really nice.

In 2008 we stayed at a Holiday Inn in Gresham (closer to the airport) and I liked that property. It was fairly close to the freeway so the fact that it wasn't downtown was not a big deal.

It's hard to say where to stay without knowing how much they want to spend and what they are planning to do. Shopping, pubs? Definitely downtown. Columbia Gorge? I would think outskirts.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was finally able to get a response for more info, but not sure if this is enough to get your advice/suggestions. I'm sure she will appreciate any tips she can get! TIA!

I'll be in Portland, but I'm not sure what part - that depends still on the advice that I get. I want to be outdoors exploring the city. I won't have a car, so that may limit me a bit. How long does the rose festival last? I won't be there until the last week in June. As for activities, I'm always open to suggestions. I love to try new things when I travel and I rarely go to a new place with a "must do" list - I prefer to just gather a list of suggestions and then see what feels right. So as for choosing a place to stay, I just want a place near good public transportation (which, from what I hear, isn't a problem in Portland) and with good stuff happening around it (and, of course, safe!)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Hopefully someone will respond who knows downtown, as far as where to stay better then I- you can get around pretty much everywhere using the MAX lines. I am really bad and pretty much don't go anywhere I can't go in my vehicle! Lots of sites outside of the city- not such a city body- been there and done that years ago! These days I avoid it. But hope someone can help out!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I think she needs city stuff since she doesn't want to rent a car. I'll stand by for other ideas. :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The Rose Festival will be over by the time she gets there - http://www.rosefestival.org/

There is a ton of other stuff to see and do. She must go to POWELL'S BOOKS - she could easily spend hours there. In that link, there is a walking tour of Portland. If she is artsy-fartsy, there is the SATURDAY MARKET. The Max will take you to WASHINGTON PARK , which has a bunch of stuff to see. There is also the PORTLAND CLASSICAL CHINESE GARDEN. I've eaten at HENRY'S TAVERN, it was good. There are also food carts, which have great food at bargain prices. A walk along the waterfront is very nice. As far as where to stay, can't help you there since I live only about 8 miles away from downtown.

There are also other cool things on the other side of the river to see as well.

This might have some ideas - http://www.livepdx.com/index.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts