Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a way to get large parts of an old Ford truck shipped from Illinois to South Florida. I tried going to trucker forums to see if I could post but all the ones I found don't allow driver solicitations.
Regular trucking companies want me to provide 'packaging.' It's a hood and 2 fenders. How would I package that? I thought if I found a trucker who hauls stuff all over, I could pay to just have them picked up and put in a truck and when it gets here, it gets here. Anyone who has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate them. My son wanted to fly up and rent a UHaul or Budget Truck, etc. and drive it back but it's between $800-$1000 not including air plane ticket. There has to be another way.
thanks.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Back when I was working...we had a fender for a boat trailer come right from UPS. Roadway is who we would send our kayaks out by. But a trailer dealer sent the fender.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I called the closest Roadway office (Miami) nobody answered. Going to try again in a.m.
UPS requires boxing the goods. This is 4 fenders, 2 inner and 2 outer and a hood. The hood is very large and very heavy. It's from a 1978 truck. The guy I want to buy it from doesn't want to pack any of it. Short of driving up there myself, I don't know what to do. It's awesome stuff - for it's age - and considering how hard it is to find parts that old, I hate to pass up the offer.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Have you tried a moving company? Sometimes they have partial loads and have room for other cargo. Might be worth a try.

G

·
Pam, I called SU because he is restoring a 1951 Hudson. Car parts are hard to come by and he has to have them shipped to him.

He says he has used Fed-Ex. They have a "freight" department. Try their website and go to the "freight" section.

He said also try googling, "freight" "freight shipping" "heavy freight" ect.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Trucking companies don't like loose stuff bouncing around in their trucks.
What you need is a crate, or a couple of crates or at least a pallet.
Several possibilities come to mind:
Look for a local moving van agent or crating service near the shipping point. Or try an exhibits builder. Both may build crates. The mover would then ship it on one of their van line trucks coming through the area, or either could arrange shipping via one of the freight haulers like Roadway, Yellow, ABF or other Less Than Truckload (LTL) carriers.

According to their web sites, Mail Boxes Etc and the UPS Store both offer crating services and will also ship.
Getting the crates off the truck may be problematic. Most LTL trailers do not have ramps or lift gates so getting the crates off the truck could get complicated. You may want to specify delivery be made using a truck with a lift gate or ramp.

HTH

LD

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again to everyone.
And to answer all questions..... it's a 78 Bronco. Actually got it with the help of a friend from JL who lived near the guy who was selling it. It used to be intact until my son took it off roading and flipped it on it's side. Now it needs new fenders, hood, etc. The ones I found look brand new and I'm pleading with the seller not to let them go locally (in Illinois) for $20 if you can believe that!! And as of last night, he still had them and didn't have any interested buyers yet.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My husband works for ABF and they have a program called U-Pack that people use when moving. He's not home right now but I'll ask him when he comes in if that would work for you. I think it's pretty reasonable. They deliver a unit to you and you pack up what you have and you are charged based on the amount of space you use. There is probably something about it on the company website.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Some suggestions from Ron. He's been in aircraft logistics for years.

Emery Worldwide
Bax Global

FedEx Ground (more expensive)

Hope that helps. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts