Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you preface the word with "a" or "an"?

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I think it is "an herb." Unless you are writing a sentence about my uncle. Then you'd write "Uncle Herb."

(Whose homework are we doing?)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I say "an" too. But if you're Martha Stewart, I guess you'd use "a." She pronounces the "h" in herb.

Isn't the rule "an" if the next word begins with a vowel sound, "a" if it begins with a consonant?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
If you're my neighbor next door, you pronounce it "Hoib", and I wet my pants trying not to laugh out loud!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taffys Mom said:
I think it is "an herb." Unless you are writing a sentence about my uncle. Then you'd write "Uncle Herb."

(Whose homework are we doing?)
Someone here on the board used "a" instead of "an" not too long ago and I caught it. I don't recall who, but it seems like it was someone that would know better. So, I thought... hmmmm... maybe I'm the idiot.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Both are correct. In cases of divided usage, you would use the one that corresponds to the way you pronounce the word. So if you say "urb," it would be "an herb." If you say "hurb," it would "a herb."

OK?

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
only americans pronounce is "urb" nathan.

gotta be different, eh?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kelli said:

gotta be different, eh?
Only Americans? You mean others say hurb?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
H words that the h is more vowelly (for lack of a better term) honest or herb vs haircut or hocky stick are an "an" rather than an "a" other wise it sounds a bit awkward if you read it out loud.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Shanna said:
kelli said:

gotta be different, eh?
Only Americans? You mean others say hurb?
If by "others" you mean the rest of the Engllish speaking world.. then yes.. we pronounce the H

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I just actually would use whatever the name of the herb was, as in basil or thyme. To be honest, I'm sitting here trying to make a sentence using "an herb" and I can't even quite think of one that even sounds remotely right.

"And then, after you have added the oil to your other liquids, you can add in an herb". (somehow just doesn't quite seem right to me...)

But I'm a moron, so that explains that.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Okay, since I got permission to hijack from Shanna :p how do you say "huge"?

Toby and all of his friends now say "Ujjjjjj" because one of the Dads says it this way. They think it is one of the funniest things, but I gotta admit it drives me bonkers! :D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still say HUGE.... but Charla has me hooked on a new NASTY..... NAS-TAYYYY!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TangerineFizz said:
"And then, after you have added the oil to your other liquids, you can add in an herb". (somehow just doesn't quite seem right to me...)
After using an herb unknown to us, he developed a rash.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts