Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<-------My Holly....almost 3 months old and all she wants to do is play, eat and bite! Will she ever want to cuddle? I want to hold her and stroke her, but she only wants a piece of my finger! :hurt: I'd like to hold her while watching TV, but the only time she is settled...is when she is asleep...and she never falls asleep in our lap.

thanks for any input~
audrey

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
luvmy3labs said:
<-------My Holly....almost 3 months old and all she wants to do is play, eat and bite! Will she ever want to cuddle? I want to hold her and stroke her, but she only wants a piece of my finger! :hurt: I'd like to hold her while watching TV, but the only time she is settled...is when she is asleep...and she never falls asleep in our lap.

thanks for any input~
audrey
I don't think she is going to be that kind of puppy at least for the short term. She sounds very busy. Some puppies and adult dogs are just not the cuddler type.

I did not have my Lab as a puppy - I am sure that he was just like your girl. Now he is older and is VERY interested in being in laps - but he is 80 lbs.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
dipete said:
sarahnye said:
Generally, she'll want to cuddle when she's too big to be a lap dog :D
Is there such a thing Sarah! :laugh: :laugh: Sammi is 65lbs and thinks she is a lap dog, and I let her pretend every night :happy:
Milly is 58lbs and she's a lap dog too ;)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I haven't found females to be overly cuddly in general.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You've just describe my Cooper. He is a 14 week old, 32 pound ball of fire. He is either eating (this only takes minutes), playing, peeing or biting. I do get a couple of minutes each morning right when he wakes up. Keeps me on my toes all the time but I love him dearly.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Misha was like that as a pup, she´s still not a big cuddler now (she just turned 2) but she loves being petted and scratched and even though she won´t come and cuddle with me, she does it Homer.

At that age they are more concerned with playing and learning all the world around, but once they get tired she might come and cuddle with you...

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
sarahnye said:
dipete said:
sarahnye said:
Is there such a thing Sarah! :laugh: :laugh: Sammi is 65lbs and thinks she is a lap dog, and I let her pretend every night :happy:
Yeah guess we should be glad they don't weigh more! :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
luvmy3labs said:

thanks for any input~
audrey
This is how I get puppy cuddle time: I get a NEW rawhide, sit indian style, put the "teeth with fur" in my lap and hold the little rawhide for them while they chew away. Both my labs loved/love this and we both get what we want ;)

I always wondered if this helped my 1st lab to be so easy going about people touching his bones, food etc. He never feared that something would be taken from him.

Just an idea- I'm no expert!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YukonsMom said:
luvmy3labs said:

thanks for any input~
audrey
This is how I get puppy cuddle time: I get a NEW rawhide, sit indian style, put the "teeth with fur" in my lap and hold the little rawhide for them while they chew away. Both my labs loved/love this and we both get what we want ;)

I always wondered if this helped my 1st lab to be so easy going about people touching his bones, food etc. He never feared that something would be taken from him.

Just an idea- I'm no expert!

Thanks for this idea!! I may have to try this!
Our 80 lb. yellow lab, Cash, is a lap dog, I guess because he's too big the be held!LOL

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
dipete said:
sarahnye said:
dipete said:
sarahnye said:
hahah yep! Milly is really only a lapdog with Dave...... she's not a big cuddler with me per se. She kisses me more, cuddles with him more. She's just making sure her affection is dealt out evenly so neither of us get jealous I think ;)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
sarahnye said:
dipete said:
sarahnye said:
dipete said:
sarahnye said:
hahah yep! Milly is really only a lapdog with Dave...... she's not a big cuddler with me per se. She kisses me more, cuddles with him more. She's just making sure her affection is dealt out evenly so neither of us get jealous I think ;)
Sammi will cuddle with anyone that is around, but if given a choice it will be me, guess she knows who fill's her kongs!! :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Casey loves to be with me doing whatever I am doing and she likes to be petted and get attention but she has never been a cuddler/lap dog as long as I have had her. Not sure what she was like as a puppy. I guess there can be some advantages to a 55-85 pound animal not wanting to climb in your lap! :laugh: :laugh:
Our bond is still incredibly strong regardless.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Both my boys are cuddlers, but we knew that going in. FIrst thing Bo did when we met him at 11 months was climb up into my husband's lap. (No leaving that dog behind!) Gus was the cuddliest, kissingest in his litter. But also active so he loves to cuddle but when he was littler he spent lots of time playing, biting, etc. No it's 2 70+ pound lap dogs. Can be a little overwhelming.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
It took Baloo well over a year to really discover his love of cuddling. I think it depends on the individual dog. ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Jeb was (and still is) a very busy dog. He wasn't really a cuddler early on but he loves to curl up in the recliner with whomever is sitting there now. All he has to do is hear the foot of the chair go up and he launches himself into it. Sometimes it is the only way I can settle him down in the evening. So.....don't worry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.