Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so proud of my eldest daughter, Victoria. She's 27. She was a terrible student in HS. If it wasn't for her guidance counselor I don't think she would ever have graduated. Cutting class, not doing her work. Gave me a heck of a time back then. It was such an awful time that I felt compelled to send the guidance counselor a dozen yellow roses the day after graduation. College was never going to be an option for her. She now regrets her HS shenanigans in a very big way.

She's only ever had jobs in retail and for the last four years she's been working for an insurance company, taking accident reports in their call center. Not a great job and not great money but we were just happy that she had a job.

Three weeks ago, she left for work at 8:30 and returned home at 9:00. She and several others had been laid off due to the economy. I was sick. I couldn't imagine what she would do with the economy the way it is. I sat her down and told her that this may be an opportunity (since she lives with us) to go to school or figure out something else so that she can eventually get a good job. She told me that she's going to figure this out because she isn't going to spend the rest of her life going from one dead end job to the next.

She said to me I would like to make a really big life change. She joined the Navy. She's done the testing and the physical and she's going away in July. She is so excited. I'm so excited for her and unbelievably proud of her.

While she's been doing all of this over the past three weeks, I kept telling her to apply for unemployment. She did that but she also went out and got another job to have until she goes away. She's starting at Lowes today as a cashier. She doesn't want to just sit around until July she said.

What a turn around. I'm so grateful to God that she will be situated and happy.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
We don't all mature at the same rate, at the same time. Our son had a good time in high school, actually went to college. Well, for one year. He found a fraternity and that became his major the second semester. Got kicked out of school, took many part time jobs for three years. Finally figured out that he was not going to have what he wanted, or be able to support a wife or raise a family. Managed to get himself back in school, found a wonderful girl to marry, and has two great kids. It just takes some longer than others.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You have every reason to be proud of her. It sounds like she is a late bloomer with a good head on her shoulder. She'll do great.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Congrats to her! We went through the same thing with my step daughter, and she also followed in family footsteps and joined the Navy. She struggled but she is still there serving on a brand new boat on a new base in WA state. She went in straight of of HS and is only 20, so has nto experienced the regret of her HS days yet, but she is still in and making the most of it.

There are fabulous educational opportunities through the military. My Dh has a college education 'equivalent' that he NEVER would have had the opportunity to get had he not joined. Both him and his brother were Nucs on the nuclear subs, and their brother on carriers with helicopters. Our niece-in-law also is a graduated nuc.

BEST of luck to her!!!!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Neat....oh and I have to agree with the maturity comment. My youngest brother is still sitting around at parent's home not doing a thing with his life.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
That's wonderful. And you are right, usually when one door closes another opens, it's just hard sometimes to figure out which door to choose.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That is awesome, Nancy!!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone. She just got home from her orientation at Lowes and she gets a 10 percent discount. YAY!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Wow! Good for her. I wish her the best of luck. I've seen the military really turn some people around

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
That is so cool, for her and you! You deserve to be very proud! Should I warn you about that good-bye before boot camp.......
when you are bursting with pride but so sad at the same time!! Parenting is a tough gig for sure:smile:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is so cool, for her and you! You deserve to be very proud! Should I warn you about that good-bye before boot camp.......
when you are bursting with pride but so sad at the same time!! Parenting is a tough gig for sure:smile:
OMG, yes. I get a huge lump in my throat when I think about her not living here anymore. I know it's crazy, she's 27 after all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts