Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it freaking pours! ****.

I took Toby to the vet about his lump today. This was the same doctor who helped Sherman over the bridge yesterday, and she had tears in her eyes when she walked in (I was pretty shaky myself). Toby of course, was delighted to see her, all wags and smiles. Anyway, his lump is right behind his right armpit, we noticed it a few days ago, it's about 1/2" in diameter. The vet took two needle biopsies and checked them under the microscope while I waited.

The good news: not mast cells. The bad news: some variety of round cell tumor, not just a lipoma. ****. The sort-of OK news: it's in a good place to excise, it is still relatively small, we won't know if it's malignant or benign until it's sent for proper biopsy. He's going in for surgery on Wednesday next week to have it removed.

OMG, what with losing Sherman to FIP, and having Mark still recovering from his knee surgery, I'm feeling close to my limit for the week. I do, however, have a feeling that this will come out OK. I hope I'm not deluding myself. Still, anyone who's had a similar experience with their labs I'd really appreciate hearing about it - any advice, any cautions, basically anything at all.

I'll be posting again asking for good surgery thoughts on Wednesday, of course! Meantime... thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
No suggestions - just a shoulder if you need it. What a week!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
man - so sorry about Sherman - and this too - having the same kind of week here ((hugs))
empathy and sympathy

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
No info but just want you to know that I am so sorry for all that you are going thru. Here for you and continued good thoughts.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
So sorry you are having to go through such a week. No advice, but will be sending positive thoughts for a good outcome for your Toby.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My experience through the years with both LeRoy and Auggie is that we had benign "fatty" tumors go on to become something more sinister - mast cell tumors. So I think it is very, very good that you are having Toby's lump surgically removed while it is still small, hopefully still encapsulated, and not yet 'invasive'. Good too that you are going to get a full pathology report after excision.

I'm sure I'll be thinking of you and Toby next week/ been there, done that, and when 'they' are caught early on, everything usually turns out fine.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
What a week! :(

I'm so sorry about Sherman :(. Run free sweet kitty.

Sending lots of good thoughts for Toby and you. (((HUGS)))

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
What a week, so sorry for your loss. Sending good thoughts for Toby and hope hubby is up and around real soon!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts