Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to our dog track last year to watch and I won lots of money and I want to go again this year. But I can not remember when it was. Need to start saving my money. I hope to win BIG this year.hehehe

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bacatherine said:
The Kentucky Derby is May 5th always the first Saturday in May.
Thank you I am making a note of that. I had never watched it until last year. I learned how to read the book (with like their stats and stuff) it was fun.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I've never really got into it but the whole city revolves around it year round. It's pretty crazy. I bet you would going into the infield lots of drinking and crazy stuff going on. I've heard some pretty hillarious stories.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah one of the girl friends of the people we went with last year told us all about it. She is from Kentucky. I think this year she is trying to get a box out our dog track where we can watch and place bets. She also ordered us the drink they always have. Not sure what it was called. I don't like it to much, but I still had one.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Probably a Mint Julip they are the derby drink of choice most of the time. We don't drink so I couldn't tell you what it's like. It's not just the Derby around here though they devote like 2 weeks to the event. Starting April 21st with Thunder over Louisville which is a HUGE fireworks show, then they have a marathon, balloon glow (hot air balloons), Balloon race, steam boat race (on the Ohio River), then they have Oaks Day which is the Friday before Derby they have a lot of high stake races at the track too. Oaks is getting to be a huge event too half the city is shut down that day (except our office ::) )

I enjoy Thunder over Louisville but it's SOOOO crowded down by the river you literally have to walk a few miles to park and get down to the riverfront where the fireworks are most visible. It's an awesome 45 minute show though. Then you have to fight your way back to your car and wait in traffic for an hour or two to get back home.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bacatherine said:
Probably a Mint Julip they are the derby drink of choice most of the time. We don't drink so I couldn't tell you what it's like. It's not just the Derby around here though they devote like 2 weeks to the event. Starting April 21st with Thunder over Louisville which is a HUGE fireworks show, then they have a marathon, balloon glow (hot air balloons), Balloon race, steam boat race (on the Ohio River), then they have Oaks Day which is the Friday before Derby they have a lot of high stake races at the track too. Oaks is getting to be a huge event too half the city is shut down that day (except our office ::) )

I enjoy Thunder over Louisville but it's SOOOO crowded down by the river you literally have to walk a few miles to park and get down to the riverfront where the fireworks are most visible. It's an awesome 45 minute show though. Then you have to fight your way back to your car and wait in traffic for an hour or two to get back home.
Sounds like a lot of fun. Wish we could be there for it. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
bacatherine said:

Can you see it from St. Matthews? :p If not, I doubt I'll get to see the fireworks, but I'm definitely not going to the Derby - I've never been big on huge crowds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts