Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. The breeder said to switch from Large Breed Puppy to Adult at 5 months. The trainer said at 6 months. A dog breeder I know said wait until a year old. My girl is now 6 and a half months old. She has been having diarrhea off and on for a while so I can't do anything yet, but once her stools are normal again, I was wondering if I should be feeding her Adult?? What is the reason for keeping her on Large Breed Puppy, and what would be the reason to switch to Adult? I want to do what is best for her, but it is so confusing with all the different opinions! I usually listen to the breeder first. I appreciate any responses!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
You should follow the advice of YOUR breeder. They know their dogs and their lines.

Have you had her fecal checked by the vet? I'd start switching over to adult now.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dani,
Yes, I had her stool sample checked and it came back fine. The only thing is, I don't know if they checked for worms only. I have a call in to the vet and am waiting for her to call me back. My breeder said to have her checked for Giardia and Toxidia, and I don't know if the last stool culture included that or not. I don't think it did but will hopefully find out when the vet calls me back. If not, I will definetly have the vet do another stool culture and test for Giardia. As soon as my pup's back to normal I will switch to Adult food. I may also switch to another brand. After a lot of research I think I would like to try Innova. She is presently on Pro Plan. I thought about Wellness but the majority here said it was very rich. I think I could be feeding her something of better quality than Pro Plan. No offense to all other Pro Planners!! Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
How many times have you changed food? Most of your posts seem to be about food switching- and your dog is really, really young for all of that. Pick one and stick with it for a couple of months, at least. The vet I worked for used to tell clients to give foods at least 3-5 weeks to "settle" with a dog to see if it was working. So if your dog is 5 months old, you really should have only changed foods 1x, hopefully.

As for changing to adult food, my vet recommended by 1 year. My breeder recommended around 10 months. So we did around 10 months.

*soapbox*
As for listening to the breeder....well. That's assuming a lot. That's assuming your breeder is a quality one. That's assuming you believe your breeder knows more about nutrition than your vet.

My breeder (gabby's, not Maverick's) is an okay breeder. I could have done better. However, my vet makes a phenomenal effort to educate herself on nutrition. My breeder does not. So who do I listen to?

That's my choice. And if you choose to listen to your vet, versus your breeder, you're likely going to take some heat here- but it is your choice.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gabbysmom,

I have not switched her food yet. I have been THINKING about doing so, thus all the questions in here about it. She has been on Pro Plan since before we even took her home. I may not know a lot yet about raising a puppy/dog as she is my first one, but I do know that it isn't a good idea to switch her food constantly. So I haven't. Still in research mode about which food to switch to.
The breeder we got her from seems very knowledgable, experienced, responsible and caring. I like the advice she has given me so far about other things and she ALWAYS responds to my calls or emails. I trust her.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I switched Henry around 8 months or so... he was getting really chubby on the high-fat puppy food he was eating, so that's when (and why) we went to an adult food.

·
Registered
578 Posts
We haven't switched to adult food yet, but our 5 month old puppy was having frequent diarhea on Purina food as well. We switched her to a brand called Castor & Pollux-puppy formula. The vet recommended something with no corn and this has no corn, no wheat, no byproducts. Shelby's been doing very well on it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BJ is three months and the vet said it was time to switch so we are slowly adding in the adult food. On the puppy food he had fairly soft stools (the kind that stain the carpet :p ) but since adding the adult food everything is *ahem* firm.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Lab switched to adult at 3 months? That is so contrary to everything that I have heard from breeders, my vet, and other sources I respect. You are talking about a Lab? Right? Among other things including bone building, your 3 month old has major growth spurts ahead. I can't believe that any vet is not familiar with large breed needs, and specific issues relative to a Lab. If I were you, I would find another vet that deals with large breeds regularly and get another opinion, not necessarily to switch permanently. Your feeding actions today are going to affect that puppy for the rest of its life. If it was 'heavy', really heavy at 3 months or just 'puppy fat'? How much are you feeding the puppy per day, few labs self regulate, so you need to measure out the daily portions.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Endofile said:
Lab switched to adult at 3 months? That is so contrary to everything that I have heard from breeders, my vet, and other sources I respect. You are talking about a Lab? Right? Among other things including bone building, your 3 month old has major growth spurts ahead. I can't believe that any vet is not familiar with large breed needs, and specific issues relative to a Lab. If I were you, I would find another vet that deals with large breeds regularly and get another opinion, not necessarily to switch permanently. Your feeding actions today are going to affect that puppy for the rest of its life. If it was 'heavy', really heavy at 3 months or just 'puppy fat'? How much are you feeding the puppy per day, few labs self regulate, so you need to measure out the daily portions.
Many breeders don't feed a puppy food at all. If the calcium/phosphorus levels are suitable for a large breed puppy, you're fine. My four month old puppy has been on adult food for a couple of weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts