Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following Petfinder in anticipation of getting my second Lab or a Lab mix. I am focusing on labs basically 5 months of age or older, but am open for another puppy.

BUT whether looking at older dogs or younger ones I find myself wanting to gather them all up and bring them home with me. Of course that is incredibly out of the question...one more dog and that will complete my little pack. I know by adopting one I will be giving him or her a good home, and will literally be saving a life. I still cannot help but feel for those left after Tal and I pick our newest member.

I know many of you have adopted. Did you feel similarly when you sdopted?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Yes. It's worse now that I know I can't have another one until I move. I find myself looking longingly at the dogs that are posted here and almost in tears wishing I could adopt them.

I had a list of 8 dogs to look at when I was looking for Billie. I wanted all of them.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BillieIsMyKid said:
Yes. It's worse now that I know I can't have another one until I move. I find myself looking longingly at the dogs that are posted here and almost in tears wishing I could adopt them.

I had a list of 8 dogs to look at when I was looking for Billie. I wanted all of them.
Oh wow...My list changes daily because some of them get adopted! As far as room goes, I'm good with that if I wanted to add another dog or cat, but with three I will be able to give them all the love and attention they need!

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Nellie is my third rescue and I will continue that way. I just wish I was physically able to have more than one dog.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
You don't even want to hear my track record.

Okay, quietly tells that my cocker spaniel was the first adopted one from a shelter. When I got him I couldn't resist one other that was there, so I took her too, and luckily found a home for her. Then I got into lab rescue, after I got Zoe, and began fostering. Lots of folks here can tell you that I was a foster failure .... ummmm .... 5 times over........ I'm now fostering again after a 2 year break and would love to keep every one of them...but I won't...because I can't...and I have to save face around here!! LOL

But it is VERY hard to see so many that needs homes and unfortunately so many will never get them.........very heartbreaking.....thanks for getting a rescue pup!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh my, YES! :( There were so many dogs at the Lab rescue when we got Buddy, and we just wanted to take them all home. We keep going back and looking at their website, wishing we could adopt more, even though the boys are more than enough dog for our tiny little place.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
3 of mine are rescues, and while I DO wish I could save them all, I know that's impossible. I can only do what I can do, and 4 is enough for right now. Look at it as you ARE saving a life....... and giving that ONE the very best you have to offer.....

I feel bad for the ones still in shelters, but I try to help out in other ways , by donating money or my time.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I haven't rescued per say Zeus was sort of but we knew the previous owner it wasn't from a shelter. I did volenteer at our local humane society though. Some days it was hard to watch the dogs in there for a few weeks or months but others it was good not seeing them when I went back the next time knowing they were in a home now (once on the adoption floor they were there until adopted). I flet good knowing that spending 15-20 minutes with them when I was there helped them by exercising them and working on obedience some. It's all I could do since we're at maximum capacity with a baby on the way but it was something at least.

·
Registered
281 Posts
We have had four wonderful pets and all four were adopted! I am on our local humane society board and I can tell you we need lots more people to consider adoption. We are fortunate because ours is a no kill shelter. They usually do a good job of matching personalities so go and have fun and if you find more than one you fall in love with, maybe you can get a friend or someone you know to adopt one as well!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody...I figured I was not wierd feeling this way..Makes me wanna just beat the crap outta these folks who cause these dogs to endure having to do without a loving family.

·
Registered
53 Posts
EVERY lab I see that needs adopting, whether in real life or online, I want to adopt!!!!
I mean, I literally have to talk myself out of it.
But I have a game plan. When I win the lottery (haha) I'm going to build a HUGE house and I'm going to have like 100 labs.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
May I ask where you are located?

A friend makes it her passion to find homes for Newfs and she just emailed me about a lab puppy that was recently rescued from an abuser. I don't know much for details, just that she's AKC and still young. She has started puppy shots and not finished and I don't know if that's because the people didn't care to finish or just her age. I can get more details if you're interested.

We live in an area without a decent shelter so we try to find local homes first if possible.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
4yelloweyedogs said:
3 of mine are rescues, and while I DO wish I could save them all, I know that's impossible. I can only do what I can do, and 4 is enough for right now. Look at it as you ARE saving a life....... and giving that ONE the very best you have to offer.....

I feel bad for the ones still in shelters, but I try to help out in other ways , by donating money or my time.

Melissa
;)
That's a perfect way of looking at it. I love the starfish story... :) I try to do something for about one dog a year, outside of my own. It's not as much as I wish I did, but I do what I can comfortably afford to do and try to take solace in that I have helped that one dog.

My only advice to you, Guy, is to get a female. I wouldn't do same gender if I had it to do over. :-\

I am so glad you're looking at rescuing. It really is one of the most rewarding things one can do.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AngusFangus said:
4yelloweyedogs said:

Melissa
;)
That's a perfect way of looking at it. I love the starfish story... :) I try to do something for about one dog a year, outside of my own. It's not as much as I wish I did, but I do what I can comfortably afford to do and try to take solace in that I have helped that one dog.

My only advice to you, Guy, is to get a female. I wouldn't do same gender if I had it to do over. :-\

I am so glad you're looking at rescuing. It really is one of the most rewarding things one can do.
Thanks...I have several that I would like to look at if they are still available when I can go look....here are a couple of the females..

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10177781

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10201337

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9675808

And there is something that just grabs me about this little guy...I know it would be two males...

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10202789

·
Registered
236 Posts
And there is something that just grabs me about this little guy...I know it would be two males...
I have two males and wouldn't have it any other way! Go for it if that sweet boy grabs you. His little eyes are very soulful.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
ks02 said:
I have two males and wouldn't have it any other way! Go for it if that sweet boy grabs you. His little eyes are very soulful.
Ditto. I have two males and can't be more pleased. Interestingly, most owners of multiple dogs that I know, have pairs (or more) of the same gender.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
it's basically torture for me to walk into any of those places.. there's a humane society a few minutes from my house and every time i go there, i end up wanting at least 3 of the animals there.. it makes me sad, especially for the older dogs, because most of the people i see there are only looking at the puppies. they just look at you with those sad eyes, jumping up and down.. breaks my heart!

reminds me of that commercial for pedigree where there is that adorable puppy in the cage and it sees people coming and gets all excited and then they just walk right by him. i almost break into tears every time i watch the commercial. :'(

but realistically, i think saving just ONE dog/cat/animal is better than nothing. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Both my boys are rescue...once from a friend of a friend, the other is a foster failure. Two dogs are enough for me but I still torture myself and take in foster dogs. And I made a promise that while I cannot take EVERY dog that I am approached about, I would take the hard luck cases...those with behavioral issues or training problems and work with them to make them more adoptable. I have a soft spot for those pups since Tanner was one of those and due to be put down in 12 hours if somebody didn't take him. He is now a demo dog for my training school and is a therapy dog.

Anyway, I want them all but I feel good that I give them another chance at life until their forever home turns up.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I have two boys--they get along fine. Both are rescues, both neutered when they got here.
I know what you mean about wanting to take them all home. I don't think I can physically handle another dog right now, but I would love to have more!!
The seniors are the ones that get me. I am thinking about fostering seniors once Teddy calms down a bit.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Well, you can get lucky with two of the same gender, but if you get unlucky it can be very...unlucky. I have a friend at the dog club who just had to re-home one of her females. It nearly killed her - this is a dog she has gone to UD with - but she became very aggressive towards another of her females, and my friend had to make the dreaded decision that she would be happier as a single dog. :'(

Mine get along great most of the time, but they are very competitive and have had a couple of knock-down drag-outs. It is my understanding that there is less of a chance of this if you have opposite genders. :) If I had really grasped this before we got Simon, I might have leaned more towards getting a girl.

But, I am really partial to males for whatever reason, and when I met Simon I just fell in love, so what can you do? :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts