Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Sandy. It's Murph, who will be 9 this summer. Prolly surprising nothing has sprung up on him before now.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Magnum has many of them now, and Ruger's just popped two of them.

Never heard of the "movable" thing before. Have your vet aspirate it if in doubt.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Magnum has many of them now, and Ruger's just popped two of them.

Never heard of the "movable" thing before. Have your vet aspirate it if in doubt.
Cappy started developing lipomas around age 6 and currently has at least 8. We've had several already removed in the past three years. Some are attached to the flesh and are of more concern to me than those that are "movable"... meaning soft and slide around with the skin. If your dawg goes to a vet regularly, be sure to point them out. The vet can almost always tell by feel if they are simple fatty tumors (lipomas) or, if questionable, will needle aspirate and look at the fluid on a slide. If there's still a question they will either recommend removing it or at least doing a "punch biopsy" for a pathologist to examine if they feel that's more advisable.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I don't want to scare you, but Toby's recently removed fibrosarcoma moved with the skin. The simple needle aspiration showed the vet that we weren't just dealing with a fatty lipoma. Hopefully Murph's is a benign non-event but it might be worth talking to your vet about getting it checked.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I have had Magnum's checked. In fact, my vet found one I didn't even notice and still really could not tell even when she had me feel it. It's by her tittie, and the vet wanted to point it out to me because she said it is NOT breast cancer, but a lipoma.

I want to get two off of Magnum, am saving some money now. She has one right at the base of her tail, about the size of a quarter, and another inside her thigh, about the size of a quarter. Would like those removed soon.

Just wanted to add.. aspirating does not mean the vet sucks the tumor out... all it means is they insert a syringe needle into the tumor and pull back, taking a small sample of the tumor. They can tell under a microscope if it is just fat. The only way to remove these tumors (or any other kind of tumor) is to have it surgically excised.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, all. =) Murphy will be going in to see the vet later this week to have the little lump aspirated. I (personally) need to know. Though, I am sure it will be fine.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
It's wise to get it checked out. I learned, when Angus had a mast cell tumor, that the only way to obtain a positive ID on any kind of lump is to aspirate. MCTs are known for being able to take many, many forms.

I am sure when you get it checked it will be just fine! But always better to know for sure, for peace of mind. :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Thanks, all. =) Murphy will be going in to see the vet later this week to have the little lump aspirated. I (personally) need to know. Though, I am sure it will be fine.
Good thoughts for both of you Anne :)

I'm the same way - I have to know or I will obsess over it. I had the dermatology residents trying to aspirate a split-pea sized depression on the inside of Jake's lip last Spring - just to ease my mind!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts