Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...that is NOT enforced?! Seriously what is the point? May as well just take the white stripes off because you are enticing people to get mowed down.

Over the weekend I took the pupper out for a walk. Get to a crosswalk without traffic lights. Man in car on the inside lane stops for us. I acknowlege that he has seen me and Dex and step infront of his car. Do you think anyone else would stop? NOT one friggin' car! :mad2:

After shouting a few choice words and waiting for what seemed like ages...we did finally cross the road.

Anyway, I just think EVERY cross walk should be enforced OR just take them away.

Thats all!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Welcome to the joys of North America. The land of the selfish, self-entitled driver. It happens everywhere, even at controlled crosswalks. Very often, the ones that don't stop get a bag of dog poo thrown at their car.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I understand and agree. They block off the road and make it a one-way at the school. Even with that, there's been a few times me and the boys have almost been hit. It's an accident waiting to happen (there's no sidewalks and about a 10' drop off the road). People ignore the crosswalks around here too! The only place they didn't was on the college campus. I got so used to crossing the street without problems in college that it was hard to adjust having to be so careful again. :)

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Don't have much trouble with that here, either a different additude or else I'm so big and ugly they are afraid they'll damage their car if they hit me. But I stop for them also so I think it's the additude here because folks stop for other folks.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only place they didn't was on the college campus. I got so used to crossing the street without problems in college that it was hard to adjust having to be so careful again. :)
Good point. I've noticed on college campuses I've visited that people have been quick to stop. Maybe because there was a big old fine for not stopping?

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
This is definitely the case in our neighborhood. Although I will say that people passing through still blow through crosswalks.
Yeah but look at where you live, I have folks stop even downtown on corners that ain't controled by lights. Of course there I might not want to stop, the person in the crosswalk may be in politics or work for the IRS.:roll:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I forgot, you do have to be careful around the stat capital when the Unicameral is in session.

(Ever seen that word, were the only state that has one.)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Welcome to the joys of North America. The land of the selfish, self-entitled driver. It happens everywhere, even at controlled crosswalks. Very often, the ones that don't stop get a bag of dog poo thrown at their car.
I've been to 30+ countries on three continents and I've yet to find anywhere that crosswalks are respected. Not just North America by any stretch.

I have also thrown the occasional bag o poo.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Wow! Brings back memories of the different places we have lived and the mindset of pedestrians and drivers.

Northern Jersey, within the area that would be considered Metropolitan NYC. A pedestrian attempting to cross the road would be found suicidal in a court of law.
We used to go into Manhattan frequently enough. Driver thinking he could go on a green light would be considered dillusional in a court of law, the pedestrians have the right of way and take it in large groups.
California, Long Beach and Huntington Beach. When we first moved there, I stepped off the curb, mid-block to watch traffic for an opportunity to run across the street. WTH? Traffic in both directions came to a screaching halt to let me cross. What is wrong with those drivers??
Minnesota, almost anywhere I have been. Pedestrians seem to have their heads screwed on and drivers are considerate. AT CROSSWALKS!

So I guess it depends a lot on where you live.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Wow they ticket like crazy around here if you don't stop at a cross walk. They actually set up " stings" for it! I would never even think of not stopping and from what I see most around here feel the same.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Guess it depends on where you live, I know I don't have problems around here and the last time I checked we were still part of North America.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Guess it depends on where you live, I know I don't have problems around here and the last time I checked we were still part of North America.
I live in a different part of North America than you do, and don't see that problem either.

I'm just curious, what type of cross-walk was it? I can think of 3 different types of cross-walks in my area, and the rules differ depending on the situation. Some of them have "Stop when pedestrians are present" or "Yeild for pedestrian" signs (mostly on campus or downtown). In that case, you stop if people are trying to cross; and people obey those cross-walks. If it is a cross-walk at a stop light, you either go when the sign tells you go or cross when the light turns green. If it is a cross-walk at a stop sign or an area where there isn't a traffic signal, the pedestrian waits until traffic is clear (granted, 3 cars in a row would be considered a lot of traffic where I live).

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Where I live it is a state law you stop at any intersection cross walk where there are not stop lights. Or rather when there are people waiting to cross.

Now if I go to Omaha where the metro area is four times as big, I wil have problems sometimes, but not much.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Oh Cam. You know not of what you complain of. The first time I tried jaywalking in the lower mainland and the cars stopped. It was the oddest thing. Visit Toronto and try the same thing. No one stops, not even at crosswalks. In my time in BC, I found most people stopped for me. Try something like that in TO and you'll get run over.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I live in a different part of North America than you do, and don't see that problem either.
Where do you live, I have a theroy here.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Is the area more populated with Liberals or Conservatives, see Omaha where you have some problems has a lot of Liberals, Lincoln has a lot less and you seldom have problems, smaller towns where there are even less to none, you never have troubles. Could be a theroy, don't know, will have to start a pole and see if it is true.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts