Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is doing ok because i take her out all the time, but is there any thing else i can do besides take her out allot? What should i do if she pee's or poop's inside?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Have something like Nature's Miracle on hand, so that you can completely eliminate the odor from where she's gone. But it sounds like you are on the right track. I always say like a broken record, house training your puppy is all about your vigilance - if you do your duty and keep an eye on them, and get them out, and praise them for going pee outside etc., then you are 90% of the way there. The other 10% is just waiting for your pup to catch on.

Keep up the good work! How old is your pup now?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Eeeee!! Look at the cuteness! I love, love, love the pic with her and the cat, so priceless! And the one with the duck! Cute!

Thanks for posting those, I've had my puppy fix for the night now ;D

·
Registered
302 Posts
what a cutie ;D

·
Registered
638 Posts
Joker --

I am no expert, but I just got through the housebreaking/potty-training stage with my lab pup (my first). I don't know what the "best" way is, but if you really want a detailed description, I'd be glad to tell you how we went about doing it. I am not sure if this is what you want or not, but if you want the whole she-bang, from start to finish, let me know and I'll type it out for you.

Steve

P.S. As for "accidents," everyone says you really shouldn't do ANYTHING, unless you catch them actually in the act (then you can yell NO!! and immediately scoop them up and take them outside to finish -- then praise them for finishing outside).

·
Registered
22 Posts
...about the 'accidents'. I don't remember where I read this, but... mom NEVER cleans up my accidents in front of me. I am put in the crate or other room while she cleans up and then my accidents were mysteriously gone when I was a puppy -- I couldn't even smell them because of the 'Nature's Miracle'.

Another very unpopular thing that mom and dad did but it worked well for me was to allow me to sleep at the foot of the bed when I was a pup and then I migrated to the floor when I got bigger on my bed and am now in the hall on my bed. Why they caved in and let me sleep on the bed is because I cried to be let out every 2 hours at night when I was really little but I found that I could sleep 5/6 hours without needing to urgently go if I got to sleep with my people. They only had to wash the sheets from my accident once I think.

Yes, sleeping with your people is unpopular but people do desperate things when they need sleep and I was SO cute -- I still am but don't fit anymore and the baby gets the bed now. I still enjoy lying just outside of everybody's room listening to my people sleep. But shhh... this also seems very unpopular but it works for me.

Corbell

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
First of all, you have an absolutely precious puppy!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-*

One thing with did with Sally that seemed to help was that when it was time to take her out....say right after she ate....we took her to the door and then praised her and rewarded her right there at the door. We said, "Good girl to go to the door." In other words, we tried to associate going to the door to go out with something good and positive. We concentrated on going to the door, not on the peeing outside. Does that make sense. (Of course, we still praised her like crazy when she peed and pooped outside.)

Now, it could very well be a coincidence. I'm no dog trainer and don't know what in the he** I'm doing most of the time with her, but once we started rewarding her for going to the door, it was about a week before she was going to the door almost every time she had to go out. And at that point she was about 12 weeks old.

T

·
0 Posts
You've gotten good advice ~ and it sounds like you are on the right track. A couple of things to add. It's usually helpful to take your puppy out the same door every time you go out. This helps puppy learn which door to go to. Also, use a potty word. This will come in handy down the road. You want to say "go potty" (or whatever your word is) and when your puppy goes, say "good potty" and praise, praise, praise. Make a big deal out of it -- even rewarding with a treat (you can cut this out later on, trust me). The reason the potty word is so good is because your dog will learn to potty on command. When we want Sami to go the bathroom we just say "go potty" and she does. Very handy!

One last thing -- have you tried bell training? It's one of the best things we taught Sami. We hung sleigh bells that were on a leather strap to our door leading outside. Whenever we would take her out we would briefly touch her nose to the bells. Pretty soon she got the point and ever since she just rings the bell when she wants out.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/books-retail.php

"Way to Go! How to Housetrain a Dog of Any Age" Karen B. London, Ph.D. and Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D.

This clear, concise booklet can help your puppy or adult dog learn a lifetime of good habits. Perfect for new dog owners, and the perfect addition to puppy packets or puppy socialization classes, this small, reader-friendly booklet will help any dog and dog lover get off on the right paw.

"Invaluable! I wish I had this when I was first training my dog!" - Harriet Irwin

24 pp, $4.95

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I'm surprised no one has metioned a crate yet. In my opinion this is the most useful tool for potty training and useful for future in their life as well. Are you crate training her? I think the main thing for house training is to prevent accidents for someone who can't be with their pups all the time to prevent them a crate works great. By nature a dog won't potty where they have to sleep so with the right size crate most dogs will learn to hold it when they are crated. So when you can't watch the puppy 100% crate them to prevent accidents. Take them straight outside when you let them out and right before putting them in the crate. Always praise when they go outside.

All the other advice is very good too I use "do your business" and "finish your business" to tell Mocha to go pee and poop it comes in very handy when we're out and about so she goes where I want her to and before we go somewhere I don't want her to. Don't correct unless you catch them in the middle of having an accident and always clean up good with nature's miricle or another enzyme cleaner to remove all the scent.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I'm with Barbara...crating is a great tool for house breaking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got my puppy home - she is adorable and I'm using the crate to housetrain. We've had a few accidents, but I've caught each one and she has usually finished outside. She seems to go pretty well once we get outside, its been a little cold so when she gets done returning indoors feels awful nice. Malley has slept well the first few nights inside - and only gone outside about once every 5 hours during the night. The crate has been a lifesaver, I put a box on the backside and an additional blanket rolled up in her adult sized crate to make it feel homey. She also has a small doggey bed at the foot of my recliner that she seems to love because i don't let her on the furniture. I've am fortunate to have the first week of her life at home off from work, and its made her transition home really easy for everyone,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a new 6 week old puppy who I want to crate train. I know it's probably too early to leave her in there for an extended period of time, so I leave the door open with some toys in it so she can get used to it and go in and out when she wants. She is really good about going outside and we've only experienced a couple accidents. I've have to crate her for as much as 1 hour and she's only been in the crate with the door closed and nobody around twice and both times she pooped in the crate (about 30 min one time & about 1 hr. the other). I guess my question is when do I start keeping her in there overnight? Is it when she can go a couple hours without having to go or what?

Thanks for your help in advance

Kenny, Ashley, & Kina!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Kenny, 6 weeks is way too young to leave the momma. So you are going to have to work extra hard to over come some obstacles. You can leave your pup in there for about 2 hours now. The rule is 1 hour for every month old they are...that is also the rule of when they will need to go potty. You should start crating her there overnight now. You will need to get up every couple of hours at night to let her out, so no sleep for a while. Plus, your crate needs to be divided off to where it's only big enough to lay down and turn around in. Anything bigger and they will go potty in there and lay else where. A dog *usually* does not potty where it sleeps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts