Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken my 5 month old into the side(he's about 55lbs now) twice now and he's done real good, but last time some rather large dogs took a playful interest in him, which left him somewhat scurrying for some protection . it was hard to see my boy like that as an over protective dad. :) but wanted to balance him 'learning some lessons' and being 'put in his place' (all in fun playful ways though) since he was the alpha dog of his liter.

any comments?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Every pup is different. Some are very outgoing, some are not so confident. Your boy is only young so I would not worry too much...it is not unusual for an inexperienced pup to be intimidated by bigger dogs. All he needs is more exposure so continue to socialize the heck out of him. If you know anyone -- friends/family/neighbours -- with a big dog, invite them over to your house for a playdate.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hudler always went on the big dog side of the park....right at 4 months. Sure he got rolled a few times, but it taught him how to stand up for himself, and he is rarely picked on anymore...even in new parks...

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I have never taken Tal to the dog park but at his daycare the second visit he was in with the medium sized dogs. He is now in with the large dogs and he does really well taking care of himself. One thing he is not is shy.

I remember one day at the park I take him to (not a dog park) I ran into a guy I knew at my old job. He had his 120 lb rottie with him. The rottie was a big teddy bear. He and tal had a blast playing and turns out the rottie goes to Tal's daycare. Tal pretty much got owned but he never stopped playing!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Gabby's been in the big dog side since day one (well, since the day she turned five months and could go to the park).

I keep a very close eye on what's going on. I do not hesitate to pull dogs off of her that are trying to hump her or play too rough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts