Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We haven't grilled all week since it's been raining for 85 days straight. When we heard this morning that the forecast for today was SUNNY, we talked about what we want for dinner. I can't wait now! I'm having a baked potato, topped with steamed broccoli and melted cheese, fresh salad with just tomato and cukes...Paul is having the same, but with BBQ chicken thighs.

You?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
No idea. I have a million things I need to do before we leave for our vacation this weekend so something quick and easy.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I am going to experiment.

I want meatloaf, but it's warm and humid and I don't want to heat up the house by turing the oven on. So, I am going to make a square meatloaf and put it in the basket for the Baby George Rotisserie. Hope it turns out okay!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Not sure here, either. Maybe leftovers. I'm hoping to get some fresh squash and zuchinni today...if I do maybe a squash casserole.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jackie, cook the beatloaf on the grill! I cook everything on the grill...absolutely everything!! :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That's a thought, except for the fact that it's raining and by the time I want to start cooking, we're due to have more thunderstorms. :( I cook a lot on the grill, almost all year 'round. I won't when it's really hot out, because I can't stand being around the hot grill when it's already a scorcher!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a thought, except for the fact that it's raining and by the time I want to start cooking, we're due to have more thunderstorms
Ohhhhhhhh. Yea, we don't like to grill when it's raining, either. We do though, and have the grill positioned so that we can stand under the overhang of the door. :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think we are grilling chicken breasts w/ curry seasoning on it. I will probably make some veggies too. I have an awesome watermelon, learned two tips last week to get the best watermelon ever!!! Thanks to the checker at Safeway, I've went through three watermelons and have been spot on!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an awesome watermelon, learned two tips last week to get the best watermelon ever!!!
Is it a secret? :D What do you mean, how to choose the best one? I thought they were all the same. :confused:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Is it a secret? :D What do you mean, how to choose the best one? I thought they were all the same. :confused:
I don't think it's a secret but if you want a really sweet one that isn't over ripe than you look for the "pollen" mark the bee has left. Also you look for deep green watermelons, the lighter ones were picked too soon. Then of course everyone knows the sound you are looking for is a hollow sound. The pollen marks is like a scarring that is made. I'll see if I can find a pic. Not every watermelon is the same, you want a really sweet one that isn't mushy.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you want a really sweet one that isn't over ripe than you look for the "pollen" mark the bee has left.
Cool, I never heard of that one! I'm going to ask Michael if he knows that, he's Mr. Produce at Shop-Rite. :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Cool, I never heard of that one! I'm going to ask Michael if he knows that, he's Mr. Produce at Shop-Rite. :)
They might call it "pitting" or something like that. Anyway the guy showed me it's this brown scar type of thingy where the bee stings. The more you have, he said, the sweeter it is.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Very interesting, Wendy. I'll have to look next time Publix has them on sale. Publix and Walmart, oddly enough, are the only 2 places where I've gotten really good watermelons. The one I got at Target and the one I got at Costco were just not that good at all.

Is it just me, or are seedless ones now the most common? I remember when seedless ones were like an exotic more expensive variety. Now I can't imagine eating around the seeds! Laziness I guess!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I had some leftover prime rib from the other weekend in the freezer, got it out, baked some dark deli type rye, came out of the oven a bit ago, brushed it with melted butter and it's cooling on the counter:

I'm thinking prime rib samwhiches would be good.:D

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'll take some of that bread!! It looks yummy!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OMG Glen, that bread looks amazing!!
*wipes drool off chin*

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
OMG Glen, that bread looks amazing!!
*wipes drool off chin*
The burnt sugar and the cocoa powder give it the dark look along with just a hint of bitter.

Rita won't be home till late, the burnt sugar smell is out of the house, the windows are closed and the air is back on. Rowdy has been hiding upstairs where we have a window air we use sometimes.:D

Three went in the freezer, the kids are coming over for Reubens sometime and the bread will be ready.;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts