We had pot roast last night, and all these pot roast comments are making me want it again! lol It was yummy.
We have to run to town tonight when Jason gets home, and since that'll end up being a 2+ hour trip, we'll go out to eat somewhere. It'll be time for the boys to hop in the shower and get ready for bed by the time we get home.
• 4 bone-in,sin-on split chicken breasts(about 3lbs)
• salt and pepper
• 1Tbs extra virgin olive oil
• 1 onion,chopped fine
• 4 garlic cloves,minced
• 10 oz. cremini or white mushrooms,sliced thin
• 2tsp. minced fresh thyme
• 2Tbs. tomato paste
• 1(28oz.)can diced tomatoes,drained and roughhly chopped
• 3/4c low sodium chicken broth
• 1/2c brandy
• 1/4c pitted kalamata olives,chopped fine
• 1/4tsp red pepper flakes
• 3 Tbs unsalted butter
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt an pepper. Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat just till smoking. cook chicken,skin side down,until deep golden,about 5 mins. Flip and brown on second side ,about 2 mins. Transfer to plate.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to fat in pan and cook till softened,about 5 mins. Stir in garlic and cook till fragrant,about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, thyme and 1/4tsp salt. Cover and cook,stirring occasionally,until mushrooms have released their juices,about 10 mins. Stir in tomato paste and cook until thickened,about 2 mins.
3. Stir in tomatoes,broth,brandy,olives and pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Add chicken pieces,skin side up along with any accumulated juices. Transfer pot to oven and cook,uncovered until chicken registers 160 degrees,about 30 mins. Transfer chicken to serving platter. Stir butter into sauce and season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce around chicken. Serve