Just Labradors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What is brekfist? :tongue1:

I had a piece of homemade cranberry pecan bread, heated up with butter.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
My usual, for the past several years --

Fresh cooked Steel Cut Oats cooked with dried fruit (craisins, prunes, apricots, blueberries) and skim milk.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Bob, you never have anything different? Eggs? Pancakes? Anything?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Bob, you never have anything different? Eggs? Pancakes? Anything?
Oh, very occasionally when, for whatever, I can't have my SCOs.

I especially LO♥E eggs (coddled, poached, scrambled, omelets with cheese, sunny side up, hard boiled, deviled) and also buckwheat cakes w/Vermont maple syrup & thick, heavily smoked bacon. So when my SCOs aren't available, I'll settle for something different along those sinful lines. Variety for me can come with supper or an occasional lunch.

But I'm on a health kick and figure there's nothing healthier than SCOs for breakfast. My BMI and various cholesterol levels are better than they've been for years -- I don't want to tamper with success.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Variety for me can come with supper or an occasional lunch.
Oh that's true, I forgot about that. We just had french toast and bacon on Friday night.

Now I want eggs or buckwheat pancakes with vermont maple syrup. :hungry:

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
what's coddled?
You can google the term and get a variety of recipes and equipment for coddling eggs, some of which I would hate because they'd produce textures I wouldn't like.

Basically a coddled egg is similar to a poached egg except that the white of the egg is very soft, not hard (IMO).

My recipe for coddled eggs comes from the way my mother made them which determines some of my tastes.

A coddled egg is cooked in the shell by the residual heat from boiling water.

My recipe:

Bring a nearly full 1 Qt. pan of water to a rolling boil. Place it on an unused stove burner. Immediately gently lower two room temperature fresh eggs into it. Leave it uncovered for 10 minutes, then crack open each shell and put the contents into a bowl. I love these eggs mixed with torn-up pieces of a slice of toast and with some crumbled up fresh fried bacon, plus salt & pepper. Delicious!!

The whites will be opaque but still almost runny, the yolks will be runny; they easily mix together into a thick soupy mass. The pieces of toast readily absorb the egg and swell.

This recipe is also suitable for making eggs for a Caesar Salad in case the cook is opposed to using raw eggs.

Using more boling water results in more cooking; covering the pan does also. Placing the pan on a surface that will drain heat away will result in undercooking. Using cold eggs right out of the fridge will usually result in severe egg shell cracking as well as undercooking the yolk. Since water boils at lower temps the higher the altitude, this is a recipe that works for moderate elevations; one would need to experiment to get the desired result at higher elevations.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
It is 8am so think it might be toast. Might have an egg now I have seen this.

Interesting Bob. We have always used an egg coddler. I didn't know you could do it without. To stop the egg escaping if the shell cracks use a little vinegar in the water. Works for me as I am always in a hurry to boil my eggs.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Bob, I love those eggs too, only we call them soft boiled eggs. That's my standby when I'm not feeling well, minus the bacon. A big bowl of toast with softboiled eggs. yummy!
:doh: My brain-fart!

I should've compared coddled eggs to soft boiled eggs (rather than poached)!!

THANKS!!

But a difference is that soft boiled eggs typically cook in boiling water for 3 minutes or so which results in more heat transfer to the eggs and therefore a firmer white because of it. But soft-boiled eggs really are the closest comparison to coddled eggs.

Many lovers of soft boiled eggs would consider coddled eggs under-cooked or too raw.

ETA: soft boiled eggs recipe

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1616,150171-254201,00.html

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Many lovers of soft boiled eggs would consider coddled eggs under-cooked or too raw.

ETA: soft boiled eggs recipe

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1616,150171-254201,00.html

Puts hand up. Yes. Me. I like soft-boiled eggs, but coddled eggs sound unappealing. I am sure if I tried them as a child I'd like them, but I'm not sure I could try them now. I like my eggs over-easy because I don't like the uncooked whites that you can sometimes have with sunny-side up. I don't like poached eggs either for the same type of reason the whites may be cooked, but they don't always seem cooked.

Thank you for the recipe Bob. That's great. I appreciate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.