Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We met with the surgeon this morning and learned quite a bit.

There are two types of polyps; one is shaped like a mushroom with a stem and a head, and the other is more like a shag carpet. Bill's is the 70's style shag carpet type, but we had been picturing it as the mushroom type. The results of the CT scan show that the cancer is in the lymph nodes in the groin, and there are several 'suspicious spots' on his liver. We are praying that those spots are the result of his earlier days when he was a heavy drinker. Bill hasn't had a drink in over 20 years, but he did drink heavily for years before that.

The surgeon today said that he feels chemo should be the first step, to stop the cancer from spreading and hopefully to shrink it a little. After that, we are looking at surgery to remove a portion of the large intestine and the lymph nodes. Bill meets with the oncologist tomorrow to find out the plan of attack.

I am asking all of you to have a colonoscopy done NOW, and to please pray for Bill that the chemo does what it's supposed to do.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Sending more prayers for you and Bill.

I've had 5 colonoscopies. I've had several polyps removed. I agree, if you haven't had one, and you are close to 50 years old, don't delay, get it done! It's not bad at all and it can save your life.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Thanks for the update and more prayers for both of you. I have had a colonoscopy but I am due for another. My dad had colon cancer back in 1980 and he is still going strong today. Thank you God.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Oh Jackie - I am thinking so of you and Bill - we'll be right here for you. My BIL had colon cancer about 2 years ago now. He had been having some trouble for longer than he told us, and finally had a colonoscopy which showed cancer. Luckily it was confined and just removed surgically. But this year he almost dind't have the yearly colonoscopy check-up because of the cost.......

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
More good thoughts heading your way. Good luck with the treatments.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Keeping you both in prayer.
I've had two colonoscopies. I know so many people who won't have one done. Don't know if they are afraid of the procedure, don't want to take the time or worry about the expense, but they are taking a big gamble with their lives.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keeping you both in prayer.
I've had two colonoscopies. I know so many people who won't have one done. Don't know if they are afraid of the procedure, don't want to take the time or worry about the expense, but they are taking a big gamble with their lives.
That's part of why I was so upset about this. Bill has colon cancer in his family, and knew he should have had a colonoscopy years ago. We were together when I had mine in 2001 (yes, I am overdue for another one, and will get that taken care of as soon as Bill is okay), so he knew that it was no big deal. But he still would not go and have one. :frusty: He admitted to the doctors that he knew he should have gone years ago, but that does not change where we are now.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
More good thoughts headed your way that the chemo does what it's supposed to and the surgery can get the rest.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Prayers headed your way.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
You and Bill remain in my prayers.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Continued good thoughts coming your way! DH also has Colon Cancer in his family- he has one every 5yrs. so far so good, but still thanks for the reminder- I am the worst of the worst, one would think I would know better:redface:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
That's part of why I was so upset about this. Bill has colon cancer in his family, and knew he should have had a colonoscopy years ago. We were together when I had mine in 2001 (yes, I am overdue for another one, and will get that taken care of as soon as Bill is okay), so he knew that it was no big deal. But he still would not go and have one. :frusty: He admitted to the doctors that he knew he should have gone years ago, but that does not change where we are now.
First, I am so sorry and will keep you and Bill in my thoughts and prayers.

I understand your frusteration. My Dad is 63 and won't get a colonoscopy because his insurance is not paying for it. My Grandmother (his Mom) had colon cancer at 62. It's so hard to convince ANYONE on how important this is, definetly don't blame yourself. I have done everything to convince my Dad it is important to me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts