Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or rather - what do you think your dog is communicating? When does your dog howl? (or does he/she?)
I looked online and found several different answers to this question.

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The only time Lexi howls is when the local firehouse siren goes off (there is one house between my property & the firehouse).

In this case I suspect it is because it hurts her ears due to how close we are. There are other times when we are out walking & the siren will go off & no howling. I guess cause we are further away.

I am curious to know why they howl & what they are communicating.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Odd this is in here today.

Ernie woke me up last night howling. I swear I thought there was a wolf in the house. He has never done that before.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Zoe only howls when SU plays the harmonica. I don't think her ears hurt; if they did, I would assume she would remove herself from the room; but she lays right next to him.

She has heard sirens, etc. No howling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bella howled on and off for a few days when we brought her home - she was about 11 weeks old. I think she was calling for her littermates.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Coleman (9) will throw his head back and howl along with Tootsie (7). Bailey and Sarah do not howl when the siren goes off. My little Annie used to "sing" to me too when the siren would go off too. The next door neighbors GS sings with my two as well.

I used to think it was because the noise hurt there ears but did some research and came up with an alternative - the siren sounds like another dog calling? So they are supposedly talking back and forth.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Fudge and Nutmeg howl at the ambulances. Funny, it seems to have to be just the right ones thought. If SU is watching cops Nutmeg will how when there are sirens going on there. ::)

Once and awhile they will howl at the coyotes. The train horn/whistles will trigger the coyotes to start to howl and then when Fudge and Nutmeg hear them they start. I can be quite funnn.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Koko howls when we go upstairs (she not allowed, cat zone!) and leave her downstairs. she will get in her crate and howl until someone comes downstairs with her. She will also do a quite howl if she is told to "sing" she almost sounds like she is doing the scales a bit off key!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lily and Legend howl when they are outside and hear sirens. The sirens can be heard as far as 5 miles away. We live in Mt. Pleasant, SC, and there is quite a bit of marsh that the sounds travel across. Once they start to howl, they keep each other going; they actually are close enough to howl in each other's face. Now that's an "in your face" experience!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had heard it was due to the their ears hurting, but read enough online to decide it's probably just their method of communicating with other dogs, especially across distances (like when hearing a siren or a coyote some distance away). But at our house, Rocket howls every time my son cries. It's really funny, but can be annoying because my son will cry louder to be heard over Rocket, then Rocket howls louder to be heard over Aaron, etc., etc., etc. In the meantime my husband and I are competing with them both in trying to get Aaron to stop so Rocket will stop. Then there's Rocket climbing over all of us to get to Aaron so he can lick him in his face. SU and I are usually laughing so hard that it only makes my son angry so he cries even more. What a fiasco!
Fortunately my son doesn't cry very much since he's six, but since I never had a dog howl to a crying child before. Harmonica playing and sirens, yes, but not this. It's funny.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Then there's the happy howl; Duke howls when he's happy, whenever we get up in the morning, when we are going outside, when I come home. It's so sweet. Labs howl much less that other breeds. I never heard Mitz or Judy howl, but once when I took Mitz for a walk and left Judy behind, neighbors said Judy gave the most mournful howl.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The only time Oona howls is when she is dreaming. We have a Malamute that comes to the dog park that gives a Happy Howl.
Olie

G

·
0 Posts
Well after doing some research on the internet about it, the answer seems to be that they are communicating their position. One website was talking about how a wolfes howl means "I'm here", and thats how they communicate their position over long distances because a howl can be heard further then a bark. Maybe the dog thinks the sirens is another dog, and he is letting the percieved dog know that he is there. My last dog used to howl all the time when he heard sirens, murphy is only about 7 months now, but he hasnt howled at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts