Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to MT for a week in July, and one of my friends is watching the house and animals for us (she's a vet tech and works nights at an emergency hospital 3x/wk). What would you pay?

Here's what she'll be doing:
staying at the house when she's not at work (I'll stock the fridge/pantry for her)
walking the dogs once daily if she feels she can handle all three and has the time/energy (Jake, an older lab Tucker, and the papillon/JRT)
letting the dogs out/feeding them
getting the mail/paper
watering pots on deck (4 pots, faucet on deck to get water)
turning soaker hoses on in planting areas (a few hours a day if no thunderstorms)

Here's where I'm running into problems on what to pay: The little dog is dog aggressive, and will sometimes attack Jake when new people are around or my Mom is away. I have no worries about Lauren being able to handle both of them should a fight break out - but shouldn't she get extra money since the dogs aren't exactly low maintenance?

I was thinking $60/day plus her food - does that sound okay? So her total for the week would be $420 plus a tip. What would you pay???? Any petsitters out there, what would you charge?? I asked her what she charged and she said "whatever you think is fine with me."

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
We have paid $50/day for pet sitting and all of the above, 24/7. We have one dog and one cat. She also did dog walking while she was staying at our place, and took Theo with her. And this is the Bay Area, where everything is expensive, so I think you're being generous. I'm not sure how multiple dogs or "dogs with issues" might change the equation; hopefully kaytris or another of our petsitters can weigh in.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I'd pay at least that. A friend who'll pet sit and watch the house is really priceless, plus a vet tech !

The peace of mind is worth 600 bucks.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I think you are very fair in what you are paying. It is alot of work taking care of other people's animals, especially multiple pets and possible issues.
If I could find someone to stay at my house while we were away, and I found someone that I totally trusted, I would pay the same as what you are considering.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I think that $60 per day sounds perfectly fair and reasonable Jess :) Heck if I wasn't living at the beach for the summer I'd volunteer haha

Before you stock up on food maybe you could ask what kind of stuff she likes that way you don't buy a whole bunch of stuff that isn't going to be eaten.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think your price is totally fair. I used to do exactly what she's doing for you but for FREE-how stupid was I?? Just wanted to help friends of mine...DUH! LOL.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
labs4life said:
I'd pay at least that. A friend who'll pet sit and watch the house is really priceless, plus a vet tech !

The peace of mind is worth 600 bucks.
i agree with this. :)
when i looked into daycare/boarding, the nice ones were $20-$30 per dog.

i took advantage of my sister while we were away on vacation last week.
she house sat and dog sat for us for free! ;D

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I charge $35 a night (plus $5 for each additional dog) for boarding in my home - I don't usually do housesits, but the price you quoted is more than reasonable for 'special needs' dogs.

Good petsitters are worth their weight in gold :)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I had someone stay overnight in my home for a week a year ago or so. She charged $60/day to take care of Murray, our ferret Moe, and our turtle Leslie. I thought it was money well spent.

I'd call around and see what going rates are in your area. Then you can decide if she needs hazard pay in addition. ;)

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I did this in college, and I usually got $25-30/day. That was 9 years ago though, lol

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I charge £15 per day for dog sitting. That works out to roughly $30 a day. That can either be the dog living at our house or me living at theirs. I charge the same either way.

I actually think $60/day is a little too generous.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I forgot to say that the lady we use for pet sitting (my dogs go to her house) charges £10/day per dog. Then it is £5 for each additional dog. It works out £25/day for all four of them.

So 7 days at £25/day = £170 ($330). 14 days at £25/day = £350 ($600+).

This time we are picking the cheaper option (ie; the free option) and having my grandmother come in to look after them while we are away for 10 days. However, when we are away again for a week in August they will be going back to the pet sitter.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
regarese said:
I think your price is totally fair. I used to do exactly what she's doing for you but for FREE-how stupid was I?? Just wanted to help friends of mine...DUH! LOL.
Me too. I have done the house/pet sitting thing for family and friends, for free - just had them supply food.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for chiming in!! I was really fretting about what to pay her, but I fel better now :)

And thanks for the reminders too to check again for secifics for eating Stacey :) I know she's veg, but I'll need the specifics aside from just "no animal products."

Thanks again!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts