Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize most if not all of you probably don't have to deal with a situation like this, but I could not in good conscience stay silent. We are very low income. No one in our house has an income of over $900 a month, Keri and I are both under $650 a month. Once a week there is a food bank that gives out boxes of donated food. Mainly what we get and use the most is bread. Some of this food is items a local processor or distributor can't sell but is perfectly good. But today bothered me and I spoke up. They were giving out boxes containing ten pouches of Purina Mighty Dog Dog Food (I can't remember the variety) While I was waiting on line I asked someone to show me their box. Wheat Gluten was the second ingredient. Now I didn't have access to a recall list there but I also knew a lot of sites and folks are advising to avoid anything with any of the suspect ingredients. I went to the folks checking people in and told them of my concern. They said they had been told the food was OK. I asked who told them? "The Purveyor". Sorry that isn't good enough for me. I spoke loudly and said "Please everyone, this dog food contains wheat gluten, and from what I have seen I would avoid anything containing that. If I were you I wouldn't take any of that food." I half expected to be told not to come back, but nobody seemed to mind. I don't know how many (if any) didn't take the food, but these are poor people who are probably not in a good position to deal with what might be expensive vet bills. I had to say something. What do people think?

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I think you did the right thing. But sadly, it seems that some people will still take the food....

And who will warn the others when you are not there.

Good for you, though.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I am glad you said something too. Perhaps the people giving it out didn't even know. If you were not a pet owner, you may not have heard (although I can't imagine, the way it's been all over the news).

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I would have done the same exact thing. I also think that's somewhat highly irresponsible on the food bank's part as well - they know the people using them are having tough times, why contribute to that? Why give out something that could potentially make these people's animals sick, causing heartache and guilt over vet bills and death? I think that is really awful.

I'm glad you said something.

·
Registered
302 Posts
peanutsdad said:
I realize most if not all of you probably don't have to deal with a situation like this, but I could not in good conscience stay silent. We are very low income. No one in our house has an income of over $900 a month, Keri and I are both under $650 a month. Once a week there is a food bank that gives out boxes of donated food. Mainly what we get and use the most is bread. Some of this food is items a local processor or distributor can't sell but is perfectly good. But today bothered me and I spoke up. They were giving out boxes containing ten pouches of Purina Mighty Dog Dog Food (I can't remember the variety) While I was waiting on line I asked someone to show me their box. Wheat Gluten was the second ingredient. Now I didn't have access to a recall list there but I also knew a lot of sites and folks are advising to avoid anything with any of the suspect ingredients. I went to the folks checking people in and told them of my concern. They said they had been told the food was OK. I asked who told them? "The Purveyor". Sorry that isn't good enough for me. I spoke loudly and said "Please everyone, this dog food contains wheat gluten, and from what I have seen I would avoid anything containing that. If I were you I wouldn't take any of that food." I half expected to be told not to come back, but nobody seemed to mind. I don't know how many (if any) didn't take the food, but these are poor people who are probably not in a good position to deal with what might be expensive vet bills. I had to say something. What do people think?
I would have done the same thing. Dont' they realize that they are liable if they are handing out tainted food? Just because it's free doesn't mean they can't be held responsible for illness or death. Look at McDonalds and the amount of food they throw away..they claim for liablility reasons they can't donate it or give to food banks....why should this place be any different?

Maybe print out a list of the recalled food and give to the food bank..that way they can do what's right and make sure they aren't handing out tainted food. Since we all know that tainted food was still being sold at stores it's possible it could end up at a donation program.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts