Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LINK
Granted, he turned it down :rolleyes:, but still why does anyone rate that kind of money when they are already making millions in salary? What about Joe Blow who shows up for work everyday, does his job? What kind of performance bonus does he get? If it weren't for the Joe Blows of the company doing the work, me thinks these CEOs would be SOL.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Retire, but not before I waved the money in front of the ass kissing administration here that only values money, and say "oopsie, you can't have it!" (Who me bitter???)

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I would quit my job, get a bigger house somewhere near a beach or a lake and have 5 or 6 more dogs. Maybe even run a rescue.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
buy my 100 acre ranch near las vegas, raise and rescue horses and dogs, and enjoy life.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
And if it weren't for CEO's, the vast majority of whom make good decisions and run healthy companies, Joe Blow would have no reason to get dressed in the morning. Joe Blow is easily replaced and CEO isn't.

It's called capitalism.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And if it weren't for CEO's, the vast majority of whom make good decisions and run healthy companies, Joe Blow would have no reason to get dressed in the morning. Joe Blow is easily replaced and CEO isn't.

It's called capitalism.
It works both ways, if Joe Blow didn't come to work in the morning, the CEO would have not reason to get dressed and come to work either. In an ideal world, CEO could have taken that bonus and divied it up amoung his employees. :D

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
It works both ways, if Joe Blow didn't come to work in the morning, the CEO would have not reason to get dressed and come to work either. In an ideal world, CEO could have taken that bonus and divied it up amoung his employees. :D
Now wouldn't THAT be fantastic!!!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
It does work both ways. I'm just getting a little tired of the current fad of bashing anybody who has done well and is rewarded for it. Playing poor against rich is very popular right now.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does work both ways. I'm just getting a little tired of the current fad of bashing anybody who has done well and is rewarded for it. Playing poor against rich is very popular right now.
Love your attitude. A normal working class person is considered poor. :rolleyes: News flash, it's not a current fad. I have never understood, as I am sure there are many on this forum, why someone needs to make that kind of money? Geesh, why not spread it around to all that helped contribute to make the company successful?

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Love your attitude. A normal working class person is considered poor. :rolleyes: News flash, it's not a current fad. I have never understood, as I am sure there are many on this forum, why someone needs to make that kind of money? Geesh, why not spread it around to all that helped contribute to make the company successful?

Absolutely right. CEOs do not in any way shape or form "earn" that kind of money. They are given the money, but they don't "earn it.

I'd rather give 11 million to a pediatric surgeon who sticks his hand inside children's chests every week & restarts their hearts. Or a Fireman who walks into burning buildings to carry people out safely. But some guy with a business degree sitting in a big chair? Nope. Cap that salary, spread the wealth throughout the company. In my experience, it has always been the Joe Blows who do the real work and build the companies.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts

It's called capitalism.
You are absolutely right. But it does work both ways. If I remember correctly, you and your husband own your own construction company? What if all of your workers suddenly left? How would you fulfill your contracts? And vice versa--what would those workers do without the contracts that you and your SU work so hard to get? Without the knowledge and money that you and your SU put into the company. So you are co dependent. And I think that if a company doesn't perform up to standard, the CEO shouldn't get a bonus. But if CEO is successful in steering the company to a good performance and profit, then they deserve the bonuses.
Kudos to this CEO for not accepting the bonus that a bonehead board was going to pay out.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Absolutely right. CEOs do not in any way shape or form "earn" that kind of money. They are given the money, but they don't "earn it.
You aren't really serious, are you?

Would that include the CEO who started his own company with his blood, sweat, tears and every dime he could borrow ... and then worked 70 hour weeks for 25 years to make his business a huge success? And during those years he paid his employees better than market wages for the jobs they performed and provided better benefits than any of his competition.

How about the CEO who was "pirated" from an extremely successful career elsewhere to take over the reins of a large family owned business that was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy after years of ineptitude and mismanagement to the point that hundreds off workers were about to lose their jobs together with their medical, dental and life insurance programs, and possibly their very retirement benefits. That new CEO was offered a very reasonable salary with a huge bonus arrangement based entirely upon a percent of the profits he might be able to create in turning the failing business around. No profits, no bonus.

Your knowledge of business in general and how this country's capital system has evolved is woefully lacking and quite evident.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
You aren't really serious, are you?

Would that include the CEO who started his own company with his blood, sweat, tears and every dime he could borrow ... and then worked 70 hour weeks for 25 years to make his business a huge success? And during those years he paid his employees better than market wages for the jobs they performed and provided better benefits than any of his competition.

How about the CEO who was "pirated" from an extremely successful career elsewhere to take over the reins of a large family owned business that was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy after years of ineptitude and mismanagement to the point that hundreds off workers were about to lose their jobs together with their medical, dental and life insurance programs, and possibly their very retirement benefits. That new CEO was offered a very reasonable salary with a huge bonus arrangement based entirely upon a percent of the profits he might be able to create in turning the failing business around. No profits, no bonus.

Your knowledge of business in general and how this country's capital system has evolved is woefully lacking and quite evident.
Well said.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
No profits, no bonus.
I don't think ANYONE has a problem with this. (well most reasonable people)

But what I think the issue is when these CEOs get huge bonuses while their companies are filing for bankruptcy and wanting to be bailed out... that doesn't make sense. Many companies are manipulating the system e.g. "oh we'll give out bonuses a month early, before we get that other company to buy us cause we are tanking" or "oh 2008 was a rough year... let's just base our bonuses off 2007 profits!!!"

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Pay off all bills, buy 120+ acres of land, build a dream home and a rescue and save dogs and horses, help our families and friends pay off their mortgages, farm my own fruits and veggies, raise some animals for beef, pork, chicken, eggs, and live happily ever after! :D

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
50K-> college fund for Tom
*undisclosed amount less than 50K* for my personal debt including student loans
Keep an additional 100K to move to DC and set myself up for however long it takes to find a job out there... get Ender back... get a sister for him maybe... or at least set aside the money for a future sister for him

Donate the rest.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Cappy TX, I don't always agree with you but you made a very valuable point and well put! My family has been there, and the risk is often FAR more than the reward. Sometimes you starve for months....and sometimes you eat very well.

Also, those that bash bonuses......have you ever had the opportunity to receive one? They are not just given away....what occurs is a company sets up a predetermined policy and "equation" that states if a "goal" is met within the company the employee receives $ for assisting in meeting the goal. It's similar and comparable to commission. It isn't just given away. Often bonuses are proposed prior to acceptance of employment and are under CONTRACT.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts