Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elias and our 4 cats eat Natural Balance food, but none of the formulas that they just listed as a potential problem.
Would you switch their food right away or continue to feed what they normally eat?

I could easily feed Elias something home cooked for his next few meals until more information gets out. It would be hard to feed all my cats home cooked and I don't want to mess up their system's by changing the food all at once, if I don't have to.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
First off I am overly paranoid, so take that into consideration. I personally would not feed any of their product right now until they get more info out. These things seem to have a way of expanding into other foods as things develop.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I'm so paranoid (so I may not be the voice of reason here), I would probably switch foods. The website did say that they only received complaints about those two specific formulas, so that's a good sign, but you never know what they may find out about the rest of the formulas.
My sister's dog has had the Venison & Brown Rice, which has been recalled and she hasn't mentioned any problems. I know he's not on it now though.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just called my husband. We are going to buy small bags of something new for both the cats and Elias, until NB gets more information out.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I would probably leave it simply because why put them through the rollercoaster if it isn't a problem?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dani said:
I would probably leave it simply because why put them through the rollercoaster if it isn't a problem?
I did consider that, but WHAT IF there is a problem? In the past I have never had a problem switching foods with any of my pets, never had any digestive problems. With that in mind I thought it couldn't hurt to switch.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I continued to feed Kirkland when Diamond had their recall due to the problem with the corn. Kirkland does not have any corn in it and they assured me it had been tested and all was fine. I honestly feel anything coming out of that plant now if safer than any food anywhere after the ringers they now have to jump through.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I dunno. Like Sandy, I kept feeding Diamond after they did the recall. But that is me.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
If your food is not effected I would not bother with the switch. Are your dogs showing signs? Symptoms?
Then why stress them with a switch.
There is no guarantee what you are switching to is next in line for a recall.
I too continued to feed Diamond after the recall. I just checked the dates on the bag. I did not panic.
I realize this recall has effected many more foods and varieties than the Diamond recall did but the Natural Balance scare is just that as of now. A scare. Nothing confirmed.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cinderbaylabs said:
If your food is not effected I would not bother with the switch. Are your dogs showing signs? Symptoms?
Then why stress them with a switch.
There is no guarantee what you are switching to is next in line for a recall.
I too continued to feed Diamond after the recall. I just checked the dates on the bag. I did not panic.
I realize this recall has effected many more foods and varieties than the Diamond recall did but the Natural Balance scare is just that as of now. A scare. Nothing confirmed.
I know, I am trying to be more relaxed, but I am having trouble. If my pets had a history of digestive problems from switching foods I probably wouldn't consider it unless if was their formula being recalled.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Oonas Dad said:
Does the food you are feeding now have wheat gluten as an ingredient?
Olie
I went on the DVP website and the foods that have been identified (so far) do not contain wheat gluten, so this is a different issue. My concern is that the manufacturer has not identified (at least last time I checked the site today) the problem yet. I do not feed Natural Balance, but being that I am a bit overprotective and paranoid, and keeping in mind how the current recall mushroomed, I would probably stop feeding any formula until they identify the problem. No, there is no guarantee that another food will not have some kind of issue, but until the company knows what is causing these dogs to become ill, I don't see how they can guarantee that there is nothing wrong with their other formulas.

It's a gamble either way....

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I have been feeding the Venison and Brown Rice to 3 of my dogs. I took them in today for blood work. They all were normal. I am switching them to Science Diet and Prescription Diet d/d for Harley. My other 3 eat Science diet and have no problems.

Here's my post in O&E...................

Subject: Brought some of my dogs for bloodwork because of food scare

Their blood work was normal, thank goodness.

Harley, Lazy and Lily eat Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice. The company is having this one and the cat venison formula removed from the shelves and saying not to feed it while they figure out what is going on. There is no Wheat Gluten in it but have been getting a lot of calls about dogs vomiting and having kidney problems.

This is just ridiculous.

http://naturalbalanceinc.com/

NOTICE:
We are receiving consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. We do not know what is wrong with the food at this time, but we have heard that animals are vomiting and experiencing kidney problems. Although the problems seem to be focused on one particular lot, as a precautionary measure, we are pulling all dates of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food from the shelves.

Please discontinue feeding all Venison and Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison and Green Pea Dry Cat Food.

We are working closely with the FDA.
We will update this website today, as more information comes available.

NO OTHER NATURAL BALANCE PRODUCTS ARE AFFECTED.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts