Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have only used Frontline Plus when I go to the beach but am wary now. What is suggested for use at this point? The ticks are rampant on Long Island.

I am adding that my first lab, Phoenix, died of a tick borne disease after going to Long Island so I am really afraid not to treat my two.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I use Advantix. I have never had any problems with flea/tick meds, maybe I am lucky, and I have used everything from sentinal to frontline and now advantix. I really like advantix because of I just feel it works best and I live a mosquito and tick filled area.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wondered this as well when reading the post about the death's etc. I've always used fontline plus on sami... Never had a problem. I only use it a few months out of the year as she doesn't get fleas very often and ticks aren't a big problem here. Plus it's poison and I don't want to give it to her unless she gets the buggers...

Just wondered what (other than the topical pesticides) people use...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I use the frontline plus. I thought about changing, looked at other stuff all winter & ended up getting it again. I use it for the longest time as can be, 45 days. We have never had a problem with any of our girls.....what was the pivotal thought in keeping WITH frontline? Connie & her foot problem with the boys, Simon & Angus last summer. Our girls have been ok as far as we know & it keeps the fleas & ticks dead! Heart Worm pills so the flies aren't really a worry. You have to pick your battles.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I still use Frontline Plus. Advantix wouldn't work for me since it is toxic to cats and as much as Midnight plays with Tal and Barney not a risk I want to take. After Tal's episode a year ago with heartworms, we did switch him to Interceptor, which Barney was already on because of whipworms. I still give Midnight Heartguard and frontline also. As I mentioned in the other thread, I am not as worried about fleas as ticks around here.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
From articles I've read Frontline has had the LEAST problems. Read the directions and use it accordingly.

A lot of the problems are due to people overdosing, or using the wrong meds (like using dog formula on cats, large dog on small dog).

If you've used it in the past and have been okay, you are most likely okay with it.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I use Advantix on my girls. We were using Frontline, but Java was still getting alot of ticks on her and ended up testing positive for Lyme Disease, so we switched at that point. Advantix seems to work much better and we have had no ill effects from it at all.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
We use Frontline Plus on our girls. We run them in hunt tests and some places we go are well known for ticks. We have not have any problems. I am careful to always check it is the correct dose & I use it according to the directions.
I should mention we did get our old girl Shadow the Lyme vaccination & I always wondered if it may have caused her health issues before she died. Our vet does not routinely give the vaccination. She does test our girls annually and we have been okay. We chose not to get Molly, Abby & Kate the vaccination.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I guess I will continue to use Frontline Plus. I do only use it twice, mid spring and summer and have not had problems.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I talked to my vet about this...she says the safest one is still Frontline. I asked about Comfortis...she said she was about to place an order when she had a string of clients come in and had nothing but complaints and sick dogs. So she cancelled her order.
She said think in terms of a repellant vs. something the flea has to bite the dog first to work. If you think about it; if they have to bite the dog...that stuff is hanging around in their system and for way too long. Very scarey considering all the cancer we see in dogs today. What could it be; pesticides, food, vaccinations.....???

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I use the frontline plus. I thought about changing, looked at other stuff all winter & ended up getting it again. I use it for the longest time as can be, 45 days. We have never had a problem with any of our girls.....what was the pivotal thought in keeping WITH frontline? Connie & her foot problem with the boys, Simon & Angus last summer. Our girls have been ok as far as we know & it keeps the fleas & ticks dead! Heart Worm pills so the flies aren't really a worry. You have to pick your battles.
Boy, no kidding! It's getting to be that time, and I hate to have to use it...but last summer convinced me I'm going to have to suck it up and do it. :( We have used Frontline and Advantix, and never had problems with either, but the boys seem to tolerate Frontline better and it has less of a chemical smell. But, the dermatologist we just saw recommended Advantix, as she said she thought Frontline didn't seem to be working as well, for what that's worth...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts