Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lola, who is 3 months is getting very physical with Gracie ( 1 year old) now. She is beginning to play much more rough...nipping, jumping and all that fun stuff. The problem is that Gracie puts up with ALOT, but she is starting to nip back at Lola. Lola lets out a big "ouch yelp". I don't think Gracie is nipping very hard...I think Lola makes alot more noise. Sometimes Gracie tries to grab her leg..which is why I never let them play unsupervised...so I guess my question is how much do I allow before I break it up or do I allow it at all. It starts out as play , but I am afraid Lola is going to get hurt.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
No, Lola won't get hurt. She needs to learn manners. Let them be.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Macy (2) and Frankie (4) do this every morning and every night. Macy is the instigator (sp?), but it's definitely just play.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I had the same thing when I brought Remy into the house. Brooklyn would put up with A LOT and then finally snap "That's enough out of you whippersnapper!" Let the older dog teach the younger dog manners. They can do it far more effectively than we can.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Yes, let them be. Sometimes Lola does NOT want to play with Daisy and Daisy never stops. Lola sounds like she is going to kill Daisy, but it's simply just our older gal telling the younger one that enough is enough. Nothing has ever happened, and Daisy always gets the message. No worries, Lisa!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Let them be. Gracie is teaching Lola boundaries and what is acceptable and not acceptable. She's teaching Lola good puppy behavior. Let them work it out themselves.
Moka and Java acted just like that (prior to the accident) and I just let them work it out. Java put Moka in her place, firmly, when she would get out of hand and go too far. But for the most part, Java was very, very tolerant of Moka. To the point where Java's ears were all red and even a little bloody on the inside flap from Moka biting them so much. Moka learned quickly how far she could go.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
I say let them be. Lola needs to learn who's boss. Gracie won't really hurt her. If you don't let Gracie set the boundaries, I think Lola will keep getting rougher.
Agree :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.