Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching some clever options at to what to do with our dog waste and came across this and thought I would share.
http://www.plantea.com/dog-waste-compost.htm
I use to just toss it over my fence, but with having a 5 dog household now it is hard keeping the odor down.
Hubby said we can do this. Prolly this weekends project.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
What a great idea!! :D

I sooo want to try this!! I wonder if it'll smell in our hot, humid summers??

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
A homemade doggie dooley. We have one. I was dreading digging the hole but the utility company was out in the alley with an auger. I asked and they did it for me. All it cost me was a few cans of soda.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
i collect it all a bucket for a week, and every wednesday, the garbage man gets to take it away (lucky him). :)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I like that idea!!!

I'm with Felicia, I wonder if it will start to smell bad though...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
luke from georgia said:
i collect it all a bucket for a week, and every wednesday, the garbage man gets to take it away (lucky him). :)
Ditto this. I have a 20 gallon trash can with heavy duty bags and a tight cover...so trash day comes, I tie the bag up, put other garbage in the can, set it out on the curb. :)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I'm with the 'leave it for the garbage men' crowd. I like the idea of having a compost but I can't possibly see how it wouldn't smell over time. We have neighbours on either side so it wouldn't really be fair on them. What I do is get a big plastic bag and have a clear out every few days. Then the plastic bag with the poop in gets thrown out with the rest of the trash.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I can't wait to try this, unfortunately I will have to wait until we have our own place. I don't think it would go over real well here on the military base. That and I am not allowed to dig that deep :(
I place my little poo bags in the lined trash can outside and each time I open it it gags me. Amazing how much it stinks through plastic. I can't imagine it would be any worse than that. :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if it is composting it should keep the odor down. right now i cannot stand the smell coming from the bucket (and it has a lid on it) as it is and has not been a week.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I bury it. Twice a week I find a low spot that needs fill,add poo, cover with topsoil. I use a bucket with a lid for everday pick up. I have plenty of places to bury, in the back and across the street.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I did the poop-scoop duty weekly, put it in a plastic grocery bag, tied the handles shut, put that in another plastic grocery bag and tied it shut - then tossed it in the trash for the garbage pickup on Mondays.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I looked into the doggie dooley system at one point, as I thought this was a great idea. However, if you have clay you cannot use this system at all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I make good use of my Walmart plastic bags. Keep 'em in the shed...grab one for the daily poop sweep of the acreage. I ask the girls, "Where's the poop?" and they'll search out the landmines for me. Once the turds are bagged, I toss 'em in the garbage can for pickup.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think I might try this... although our soil is quite clay-rich. I think it's a great environmentally friendly alternative to bagging the poo - which is what I do now. Taking organic stuff that naturally decomposes and double bagging it in plastic which takes a gazillion years to decompose doesn't make much sense, unless we're intentionally trying to fill out landfills as fast as possible. I also like the idea of finding areas on the property to bury it. Definitely something to consider!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I just saw a kit for something like this the last time I was at Petsmart. I'm thinking about trying it. If it stinks then I'll just fill it in again. I thought it was a great idea.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I leave it for the garbage man now too but it stinks up the can so bad.
I have seen them at PetSmart that you can buy but I think this one would work as well and it's probably much cheaper. I've been meaning to try this too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts