Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we are almost a week out since Indy's mass removal on his toe...I've been using (dont laugh because this works and is almost the perfect size) a panty liner against the wound and then wrapping with vet wrap... We we have to do this AT LEAST twice a day because the bugger slides down, then gets a big ole floppy end, and he ends up tripping on it....OR he picks at it... usually the first though....

What in the world can I do to keep this on properly..I've tried socks, Ace wrap over the vet wrap...short of duct taping it on (kidding), not sure what I can use so that it doesnt weasel down and get pulled off...and I tried vet wrapping up his entire leg almost and still didnt work...Come on braniacs give me some suggestions because I'm at my wits end here.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Can you use a bit of medical tape at the top of the bandage?

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
If you figure it out, let me know - it's a losing battle I think, you just readjust as necessary! never found a really good way to wrap Morg's feet when necessary! Good luck!

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
When I had to keep Mitzi from scratching her incision on her neck/shoulder area with her rear foot, the only thing that succeeded was to wrap a padded rear foot: I put one of my socks with a pad (foam or cotton) in the toe on her back leg, pulled it all the way up to her hip, then put a human wrist wrap brace (velcro on stretchy foam) just above the ankle joint, wrapped snugly, but not too tight to cut circulation, then folded the top of the sock over it.
I don't know if this will work with Indy, sounds like you already tried everything.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I had to keep Mitzi from scratching her incision on her neck/shoulder area with her rear foot, the only thing that succeeded was to wrap a padded rear foot: I put one of my socks with a pad (foam or cotton) in the toe on her back leg, pulled it all the way up to her hip, then put a human wrist wrap brace (velcro on stretchy foam) just above the ankle joint, wrapped snugly, but not too tight to cut circulation, then folded the top of the sock over it.
I don't know if this will work with Indy, sounds like you already tried everything.
Wrist wrap...never thought of that.. I have to go to the store after I'm done with work..

I've used a tube sock with hair scrunchies (I didnt want to get it too tight), nylons (I know this boy will have issues now), my socks, arghhhhh.. Seriously, I have gone through 7 rolls of vet wrap...and he destroyed the Ace wrap..

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Wrap foot normally then put tube socks on both legs. Put a hole in the top of each of the tube socks and thread shoe laces or elastic through the hole from one to the other. Maybe?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up getting a baby bootie (well a pair actually), enough to put the toes in it, then it velcros around it... so far so good... but He's a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would wrap it like you have, then take medical tape, the white masking tape like stuff, and wrap that around the top so it sticks to his fur. If it is the chewing, I would try bitter apple on the badage.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would wrap it like you have, then take medical tape, the white masking tape like stuff, and wrap that around the top so it sticks to his fur. If it is the chewing, I would try bitter apple on the badage.
He's a pickle head...He LOVES sour apple.... and as a pup we tried hot sauce....Well the brat prefers Hot sauce WITH his Taco Bell...

He gets to go to the Vet tomorrow for a wound check, then next week for stitches out....Dang but does he have some long spider toes!!! expecially shaved do they look gnarly...:eek:

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Sounds like a pain in the butt! If the booties don't work, you could probably try getting some of the booties for dogs for the winter. They have velcro on them to keep them tight enough... but I think Abbey could get them off in about 30 seconds if I let her try!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
When Skippy injured the end of his tail and kept slinging blood all over, we tried all kinds of things. We ended up putting a kotex over the end, then taping it , then putting a condom (you read that right) over it all, then some gauze wrap (to disguise the condom) then literally duct taped it all to the hair on his tail above the wrap. Duct tape was the only thing that would hold, and it really didn't seem to hurt him when we took it off.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When Skippy injured the end of his tail and kept slinging blood all over, we tried all kinds of things. We ended up putting a kotex over the end, then taping it , then putting a condom (you read that right) over it all, then some gauze wrap (to disguise the condom) then literally duct taped it all to the hair on his tail above the wrap. Duct tape was the only thing that would hold, and it really didn't seem to hurt him when we took it off.
Tooo funny...we are using the pantyliners because they work nice....Today we go to get the foot looked at, then next week he gets his stitches out...

Tried the booties for the dog (frickin expensive), and you're right....gone in 60 seconds...He lives up to his name, Indy-500...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts