Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately Harley has taken to waking me up every morning at 5:30 to go pee. To start with, I am not a morning person, and while I don't begrudge Harley having to go pee, this is a little bit early for me! Is there a way to convince him to sleep in a little bit?

Kevin

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Whenever I get up can be 7am can be 9am which is rare with 3 kids in the house but he ever ever whines to go out at an ungodly hour lol

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Oh and the thing is Harley is still young so will probably need more frequent pee breaks, as he gets older he will learn to sleep through longer im sure

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
My boys get up at 4:40am with me. I don't care..it's when I start my day.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
The latest I get up is 6:30 am. HK never wakes me. I generally wake her up after I am dressed and ready to take her out.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My boys get up at 4:40am with me. I don't care..it's when I start my day.

Ditto, I'm up at 4:30 for work, so the dogs go out for the first potty round... they usually go back to bed or come in the office with me.....kinda stinks on the weekend, but they are willing to go back to bed and let me get another couple of hours in....

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
My puppy apparently has an extremely large bladder - even when he is let out of the crate at (no later than) 6:30 he usually does not go out to pee.

Diesel, on the other hand, still wakes me up in the middle of the night often to go out and goes out again at 5:30 am when DH is up. One of the joys of having a diabetic dog.

If you want to control how early your puppy wakes you up, be sure that he is out for a pee break late at night - and pick up his water dish after 9 PM.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
My boys want their breakfast, and if we're not up by 6:00 am, they will start getting fidgety and whining. I can tell them it's too early, and they will be quiet for a little bit. But let either of us so much as move a muscle or blink an eye, and they are bouncing off the walls. They don't care about going out - they want food!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I so lucked out in that dept.. both of mine wait for me to wake up.. if that's 2pm, that's fine with them.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
He wakes up when we wake up ... which on most days is between 6-6:30am.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We were just talking about this this morning. Bauer is not a morning dog :D. I get up at 5 or 5:30, run on the treadmill for 45 minutes, and then try to get him up for his walk. The last month or so, he gets up and greets me . . . but then goes back in his crate and goes back to sleep. At about 9 or so, he is ready for his walk. It is driving me crazy! I wish he would get up and be ready to go at 6am.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
My boys want their breakfast, and if we're not up by 6:00 am, they will start getting fidgety and whining. I can tell them it's too early, and they will be quiet for a little bit. But let either of us so much as move a muscle or blink an eye, and they are bouncing off the walls. They don't care about going out - they want food!
I think Buddy and Champ must be related to Tal and Barney. Same here. If I ignore them, they will quiet fore a bit, but woe is me if I so much as twitch! lol.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hubby and I had this discussion this morning too. Both Coco and Abbey have internal alarm clocks. They start letting us know it is time to get up between 5:20 - 5:45 am every single day. They have done that since we brought them home in December 08. They do not have to go out during the night anymore but they want up, out and then breakfast. It doesn't matter if we keep them up to midnight, NLT 5:30 am they are up and ready to go. I don't know if they will grow out of this but at 9 months + they have not missed one day. At least they are consistant!! ;)

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We are up at 4:30 also and sometimes we have to make them get up. They know the routine though, and on the weekends they'll sleep as long as we do, which is never usually past 7AM.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
From 8weeks old to about 1.5 years old Buck woke me up everyday at 5am. Now (he is 3.5 years old) he gets up when I get up whether it be 4am or 2pm :p

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
If I blink an eyelid it's time to get up !

If I say "5 minutes" then it's back to sleep until the next time that I blink an eyelid !

Your early mornings are due to a small bladder that will get better with age !
I agree. I do the same. If Dex wakes up before me on a weekend I tell him "go back to bed" and he does. :D

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If I'm not up by 6:15 BJ reminds me to get up - even on the weekends.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In the same boat - Caspian usually wakes us up at 5:30 am ... regardless of what time he went out last, and regardless of when we pull his water. (Yes he is only 6 months, but he can make it 8 hours just snoozing, he chooses not too!) So I throw him outside and he proceeds to play until 6:30-7 when my husband gets up and lets him in. At which point he barrels down the hallway and does a flying leap onto our bed - usually landing somewhere around the head and sleeps until I decide to get up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts