Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://wtnh.com/

Yup, I went into a little Mom n' Pop grocer leaving sunny weather outside, and came out to green weird skies. When I get home, I see 'Tornado Warning' and a big yellow box over our area...Auntie Em, Auntie Em, we sure are having some screwy weather lately!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh those terrible green skies. Freaky, aren't they?
Hunker down... do what you know you need to do to be safe.

Deeeeeeeeep breaths.... steady as you go...

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep seeing that yellow box coming closer on the map, but I keep praying it will stay south of us. The sky started to look like a regular thunderstorm, but it got really still here and that strange green is directly South of my house. I literally have ordinary clouds on the North side of the house, and a creepy green on the South. I'm going to take pictures from the bathroom window and see if I can get the card thing to work so I can post them.

I know what to do in a hurricane, if we really do get a tornado, I'm stumped! ??? (I'm on ledge here; no basement!)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I know what to do in a hurricane, if we really do get a tornado, I'm stumped! Huh (I'm on ledge here; no basement!)
I'm in tornado alley. Find the centermost part of your home. Stay away from windows (DO NOT OPEN THEM!) If your civil defense sirens are going off, grab your kids and get to that center spot. Grab as much soft material as you can to cushion you.

Is it raining yet? If it has started raining you should be past the worst of it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh boy... I remember seeing the sky turn green once when we lived near Waco, that was enough for me. My mom even made us 4 kids hide in the bathroom one day.... that was fun. Her, 4 kids and 2 gerbils, lol. My friend, who lived next door, thought it was pretty funny, she was outside watching the skys.

Stay safe!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It rained when the thunderstorm warning box went through, but it stopped. We didn't get the hail or anything, but the majority of that part of the storm clipped past North of us and did some serious damage. Rarely do we ever get heavy weather, but man, this is a creepy deal. It looks like the storm front sort of split and there was one line that passed North heading N-NE, and a second line heading from the NJ coast through Long Island and heading N-NE. I think it'll miss us, because weather that comes in off the Sound usually weakens before it reaches us.

I'll tell you what, though, I'll be adding "Must have basement" to my home search requirements. What a creepy color!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The greenish clouds most often have hail in them. If there is a nice thing about tornados it is that even the big ones are rather small and the chance of getting hit by one is not that great. Also most times in your area, they are not anywhere near as big as the F-5 that hit in Kansas, those are mostly reseved for us in Tornado Alley.

In any event keep a good eye on things and if the siren blows take cover, don't try to see it like I do. I always leave myself an out though.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The good news is that we have rain! We also have a nice cool wind blowing through, and the skies are a normal stormy-color. We heard some thunder rumbling nearby, but the power went off for only about a minute and that was that!

I gave my grandparents a call to check on them, and their power is totally out. They're North of us and got the heavy thunderstorms. I'll call my Mom next and see how she is, since she's South and West of us. She has a dog that's got a terrible fear of thunderstorms, so I'm sure she's up to her elbows in all sorts of excreta. :-X

The watchbox is still up, but our watch should have expired by some time after 7 (just caught it on the news). I hope I NEVER see skies that color again. I'll take snow, ice, hail, heck hurricanes even, but that was creepy. Thanks for the advice and all, I have to admit I got a little skeert for a minute there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts