Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LastMinuteLucy is going to do our taxes today. I'm trying to come up with as many deductions as possible.

Besides the "normal" deductions (interest, etc.), what deductions did you take this year?

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Mileage, internet, cell phone, car registration, day care, professional subscriptions (magazines/books), partial cable credit. What do you do that may give me some ideas. We have ours done.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Real estate taxes
Vehicle excise taxes
State and local income taxes
Charitable contributions

Your husband could include any business expenses but you could only deduct the amount over 2% of your AGI. You can also include tax prep software in these miscellaneous expenses if you use it.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, we already did all of those. Thanks though. He got 1099'd for a large amount and we need as many deductions as possible. :-\ I think we're still going to end up owing $3,000 or $4,000.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
we owe for the first tme this year. not sure how much yet though. I find out tonight. :( there goes my new carpet I was planning instlling. I hnever have plans for the money we get back excpet this year and of course we owe. Last year just sucked money wise in genereal

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
BuddyandBailey said:
the usa can deduct so much more then canada :(
no ****! wtf?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Let's see, I think I deducted:
-Any car repair/mileage
-Clothing that I bought for work (this includes shoes as well)
-Student Loan interest
-Money I donate to church every week
-Money that I put in my TSP (Govt's retirement plan)
-Cellphone

I think that it is?!

S

·
0 Posts
I would love to be able to deduct my mortgage interest on my taxes. You Yanks have it good.

I know I'm whining, but I have no ankle biters so there is no deduction there, you aren't allowed to deduct your clothes either.

Maybe I can legally adopt Frodo and deduct his daycare and medical costs.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I wanted to write off my husband as a dependent. It wouldn't take.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
We deduct quite a bit because dh is self employed. We can deduct stuff that he uses in our home for his business- like office space, internet, phone, cell phone.. That sort of thing. I don't know that it makes a huge difference or not. This is the first year we will not owe in a long time. But we paid way more taxes throughout the year than we have in the past as well. Stupid Revenue Canada put a stop to small business owners paying at the end of the year and made them all pay their taxes throughout the year. :(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We deduct quite a bit because dh is self employed. We can deduct stuff that he uses in our home for his business- like office space, internet, phone, cell phone..
Exactly Aim. Plus he deducts workclothes and boots as well as any small tools bought.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Car repair/mileage?

I'm confused about the car repairs? Is it just a work vehicle?
We can take either/or. Mileage itself, or a combo of repair (gas, oil change, registration, etc.). We always make out better by taking mileage.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
That's just because it's your husband's work vehicle, right, is what I'm asking.

I can't deduct that stuff because I just commute to my job every day, I don't do any other traveling for my job. So, I was just asking for clarification.

T

·
0 Posts
Yeah I wrote off my birth control. I found this out last year and so I kept every receipt from me picking it up and I wrote it off this year. Its worked out great. Going to do it again next year.

Did she do any improvemets to her house? You can write that off. Like what we are doing with our house now, we are keeping all of the receipts on this too so we can write it off next year. I forgot what it was called though. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Your birth control/medical expenses can only be deducted if they go over 7.5% of your AGI. And then it's only the portion over 7.5% that you get to deduct.

I'm hoping that with Riley's braces this year we'll actually finally get to deduct some medical expenses. Even with my $1,000 deductible for surgery last year plus prescriptions, we didn't have enough. I imagine Sam, that you didn't actually get a deduction - those would have been some pretty expensive birth control pills!

Actually - do you itemize even, Sam? I thought Cody owned your current house? Or do you own it together and split the interest or something?

It's improvements in energy efficiency to your home that can be deducted.

·
Registered
659 Posts
liveelayne said:
Let's see, I think I deducted:
-Any car repair/mileage
-Clothing that I bought for work (this includes shoes as well)
-Student Loan interest
-Money I donate to church every week
-Money that I put in my TSP (Govt's retirement plan)
-Cellphone

I think that it is?!
Hope that your clothing is truly "work related" and not stuff like business suits - those are not deductible.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts