Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am soooo confused as to what size clothing we need to have on hand for the little pea's arrival. I mean, without knowing how big the baby is, what should I do? I know DH and his siblings were all between 8-10lbs, and me and my siblings were all average 7-8lbs babies. I'm on the upper range of the recommended weight gain, so I'm going out on a limb to guess we'll have at least an 8-pounder. I've also heard that baby clothes run smaller then the sizes given... so do I buy 0-3 months, or 3-6 months??

I am not buying any of the larger sizes until his/her debut so we can get gender appropriate things, and I'm sure we'll have gifts galore as well. In fact, my MIL probably has a whole wardrobe assembled for either gender as we speak! I just want to make sure my baby is clothed for the first few weeks, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
0-3 months to start. :) My neice's baby was almost 9 pounds and that's what he wore in the very beginning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
yep 0-3. A good friend of mine had a baby 3 months ago and she is just getting into the 3-6 clothes. She found that she didn't have enough of the 0-3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
0-3 months but depending on your child they could be out of it with in a few weeks SO don't buy alot. Plus this is usually the size people buy you at showers cause they are so cute and small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,788 Posts
I would get a few newborn outfits, which are generally a little smaller than 0-3months. Plus I would get 0-3months. If you don't use the newborn stuff, return it. But have it on hand in case you have a small little peanut. :) My dd was 6lbs 11ozs and tiny. She swam in the 0-3months stuff. My ds was 8lbs 15ozs and he grew out of the 0-3months quickly. So you just never know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,629 Posts
CoCosMom said:
I am soooo confused as to what size clothing we need to have on hand for the little pea's arrival. I mean, without knowing how big the baby is, what should I do? I know DH and his siblings were all between 8-10lbs, and me and my siblings were all average 7-8lbs babies. I'm on the upper range of the recommended weight gain, so I'm going out on a limb to guess we'll have at least an 8-pounder. I've also heard that baby clothes run smaller then the sizes given... so do I buy 0-3 months, or 3-6 months??

I am not buying any of the larger sizes until his/her debut so we can get gender appropriate things, and I'm sure we'll have gifts galore as well. In fact, my MIL probably has a whole wardrobe assembled for either gender as we speak! I just want to make sure my baby is clothed for the first few weeks, lol.
My girls were 8 15 and 9 1. The 0-3 minths did not see the wear they should have. I would go very easy n the 0-3. I'd actually skip it and do 3-6 & 6-9. If you but too much they will grouw out of it too fast. waste of $$. I found I rotated the same outfits anyway, so lots of things ended up at the yard sale with tags still on. Babies grow FAST.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, we didn't get a lot of clothing at my baby shower, probably because no one knows the gender and there was so much other stuff we needed! What we did get was larger sizes in neutral colours... A few 3-6 and 6-12.

eastcoastmom said:
My girls were 8 15 and 9 1. The 0-3 minths did not see the wear they should have. I would go very easy n the 0-3. I'd actually skip it and do 3-6 & 6-9. If you but too much they will grouw out of it too fast. waste of $$. I found I rotated the same outfits anyway, so lots of things ended up at the yard sale with tags still on. Babies grow FAST.
This is what I am worried about. But you did use them in the beginning? I guess what I'll do is pick up just tne essentials in 0-3 months for now, and we can easily pick up more as needed in whatever size. I mean, even the grocery store carries a great selection of cute baby clothes now!

Now just to figure out what the essentials are! Ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,788 Posts
I used sleepers a lot in the first few weeks. They just seemed more comfortable. I think my dd spent a good portion of her first year in sleeper style outfits. LOL. They are the ones that snap or zip up the front and all one piece. They make it easy for changing and such.

Once you have the baby- send Charlie out to buy some clothes. LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aim said:
Once you have the baby- send Charlie out to buy some clothes. LOL.
Ummm no.... He would come back with ALL Edmonton Oilers outfits, even if we have a girl! He already bought bottles, bibs, sippy cups and pacifiers... lol.


Yeah... I guess a few onsies, t-shirts, and sleepers, plus socks/booties, hats & scratch mitts... It will be June, so probably don't need a many pants other then those that go with "outfits" for pictures and visits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do people actually use t-shirts for infants?

I'm thinking that onsies would be much better, as they would stay in place. I do have 2 that snap up all the way up the side, so they wouldn't rub the cord stump and they don't have to be pulled over the head. I think I'll look for more like those. They are adorable Disney Pooh ones, and gender neutral!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts
Both of my boys came home in 3-6 month clothing and size 1 diapers, and they were born at 34-35 and 37 weeks. They were in 6-9 months by the time they were 2 months old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gailatmsu said:
Both of my boys came home in 3-6 month clothing and size 1 diapers, and they were born at 34-35 and 37 weeks. They were in 6-9 months by the time they were 2 months old.
Gail! How much did they weigh?

I only have one package of newborn diapers right now, and 2 big packs of size 1. I was thinking about getting one more package of newborn, but keeping the receipt just in case!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,595 Posts
CoCosMom said:
gailatmsu said:
Both of my boys came home in 3-6 month clothing and size 1 diapers, and they were born at 34-35 and 37 weeks. They were in 6-9 months by the time they were 2 months old.
Gail! How much did they weigh?

I only have one package of newborn diapers right now, and 2 big packs of size 1. I was thinking about getting one more package of newborn, but keeping the receipt just in case!
Brandon was born at the 34-35 week borderline, and he weighed 7 lbs 9 oz and was 21" long. Jake was born at 37 weeks, and he was 8 lbs 5 oz and 21" long. :)

Oh and onesies are awesome. Jake practically lived in them for his first few months until it started getting chilly - then he lived in sleepers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
903 Posts
Nolan was 7lbs 9ozs and swam in 0-3 month stuff. We had to make trips to the pediatrician's office and the hospital quite often for the first week or two because of his jaundice and the 0-3m sleepers and outfits kept bunching up really badly under his carseat seatbelt. Once on the way home from a pedi appt., we stopped at the Carter's outlet and I ran in and bought 3 newborn outfits. I used those for outings and then kept him in gowns/sleepers at home. He actually could wear the newborn stuff until around 2 months old and the 0-3 stuff he could wear well past 3 months. I'd say if you can find a couple inexpensive newborn things, keep the tags on and receipt and buy them. If baby is large then you can return them. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,629 Posts
CoCosMom said:
Actually, we didn't get a lot of clothing at my baby shower, probably because no one knows the gender and there was so much other stuff we needed! What we did get was larger sizes in neutral colours... A few 3-6 and 6-12.

eastcoastmom said:
My girls were 8 15 and 9 1. The 0-3 minths did not see the wear they should have. I would go very easy n the 0-3. I'd actually skip it and do 3-6 & 6-9. If you but too much they will grouw out of it too fast. waste of $$. I found I rotated the same outfits anyway, so lots of things ended up at the yard sale with tags still on. Babies grow FAST.
This is what I am worried about. But you did use them in the beginning? I guess what I'll do is pick up just tne essentials in 0-3 months for now, and we can easily pick up more as needed in whatever size. I mean, even the grocery store carries a great selection of cute baby clothes now!

Now just to figure out what the essentials are! Ideas?
I used very, very few 0-3. they were just too small, short, or tight after the first week. essentials for me were onesies (undershirt with the snaps on the tummy) footed & non footed sleepers rompers. all they are going to do is sleep & eat (& poop) they need to be comfortable. You will be changing clothing due to poo & spit up, my girls were changed umpteen times a day...ty were both breastfed & I had a TON of milk and what they didn't digest always came back up) recieving blankets!!! Not the really expensive ones either. Ones you can grab to wipe up spit up, or slide under a bum for a diaper change, or to throw over your shoulder. the outfits ith seperate pants & cute tshirts look cute on the hangers, but on your newborn the tshirts & sweaters will constantly be bunched up under their armpits and the pants will be sliding off. We stayed away from elaborate "seperates" for the first 2 months or so. Just too much work, plus the don't "need" a puffy vest at 3 weeks of age. ;) (I had fall babies, and yes, someone bought a down vest :p)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have a billion receiving blankets, they will definitely come in handy as burp coths and spit clean up for sure.

From what I've read, 0-3 months is for up to 10lbs, so I can see how they won't last too long!

I guess I need to convince myself that we don't need everything right now, we can pick up things once we meet the bambino and know the size and gender!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,629 Posts
CoCosMom said:
We have a billion receiving blankets, they will definitely come in handy as burp coths and spit clean up for sure.

From what I've read, 0-3 months is for up to 10lbs, so I can see how they won't last too long!

I guess I need to convince myself that we don't need everything right now, we can pick up things once we meet the bambino and know the size and gender!
You don't really want a 6 month supply of gender neutral clothes, do you? ;) I would wait. as long as you have enough onesies & sleeper for the first few weeks (and an adorable coming home outfit, purchased at the Stork Shop at the IWK before leaving ;D) you will be just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
Just too much work, plus the don't "need" a puffy vest at 3 weeks of age
This made me laugh! Having no children, I am that type of person to buy this for someone having a baby 'because it's so cute,' I would never have realized how impractical such a gift is - what an informative thread!!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top